Newbie Watching Blondihacks YouTube Channel

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

pollys1dad

Newbie Watching Blondihacks YouTube Channel

Post by pollys1dad »

Am finding the content very interesting. Regards books, she highly recommends, " Machine Shop Practice Volume 1 " by K. H. Moltrecht. I was able to get a new copy for £27.38. Volume 2 is much, much, more expensive, around £113 used - £136 new, phew! Seems volume 2 deals with planers and shaper machines, so probably not much use to me?

If anyone is familiar with volume 2 and if the content would be of use to me? I'll digest volume 1 and hang around and see if can get a used copy of 2 at a reasonable price.

She also rekoned on, " The Amateur's Lathe ", Lawrence H. Sparey, paperback, affordable price, so got that as well.
She also mentioned The Machinists Handbook, will look for an older, used, non CNC type edition as I get further down the road.
Cheers.
KellyJones

Re: Newbie Watching Blondihacks YouTube Channel

Post by KellyJones »

Yep, I discovered Quinn about a year ago myself. Fun to watch. I especially like watching her build the Pennsylvania Switcher model locomotive, a project I would not have the patience for.
The books recommended are a good starting point. I would recommend you spring for the large print version. They were only about 20% more than the standard version, but when your eyesight (not if, but when) starts to go you'll be glad you did.
Kelly Jones, PE
A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
George Bernard Shaw
(1856-1950)
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

Thanks, if the print is small and hard to make out. Will return and get the larger version.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Here are the tables of contents for V1 and V2. I have found both of these books handy over the years as I was never trained as a machinist.

Unlike the internet, I don't have to worry about pages disappearing :D
Moltrecht1toc.png
Moltrecht1toc.png (265.99 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Moltrecht2toc.png
Moltrecht2toc.png (292.09 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Hope this is helpful.
SteveR
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
I'm thankful that metal is recyclable....
pollys1dad

Post by pollys1dad »

Ok, thanks for that, if the seller offers a return option I could always order and return if I found wasn't suitable.
Thanks again :)
8thscale

Post by 8thscale »

Make sure you check www.AbeBooks.com! I think there is a UK copy that is cheaper ...

Dave