Kick starter question....

This forum is for Internal Combustion Engines such as Hit 'n Miss, Throttle Goverened One Lungers etc. Repair, Machining, Operation, Buy/Sell/Trade of these engines are all topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

J_Tiers

Kick starter question....

Post by J_Tiers »

The old Iron Horse has a pinion for the pedal start, but no pedal. I noticed the pinion turned freely, so I decided to take it off to see if it was missing some sprags for a clutch, etc.

Nope, its accurately bored for the shaft. Must have been tightened on by a different pulley and nut.

I don't see how a rigid pinion would ever let the sector of the pedal back past the pinion after starting, unless it were clutched so the crankshaft could "over-run" it.

Anyone care to explain this to the dummy?

I checked out the ASECC site, and others, no info on this. So far Smok Stak bbs hasn't panned out either, I think I must be asking too stupid a question.......
icemaker

Re: Kick starter question....

Post by icemaker »

Any chance the pedal and it's gear sector was designed to stay down once kicked to the ground if the engine started. It could be raised again and turn the engine over backwards if the engine didn't start, or after it was shut down if it did start. I don't know anything about this particular engine, but in my dim memory of my childhood I seem to remember a friend that had an old engine that started like that. Bill
J_Tiers

Post by J_Tiers »

Could be, but I think that it had a spring return. There is a boss that may be for one.

The pic didn't attach, but is here

http://img4.photobucket.com/albums/0803 ... otor2s.jpg
dly31

Post by dly31 »

Cushman motorscooter engines used a sector linked to the pedal so that it would swing out to engage the pinion. Pedal stayed at bottom while running. When lifted by hand to start the sector would drag the pinion but the links allowed it to move out of engagement. Hope this helps.
Don Young
J Tiers

Post by J Tiers »

Well, what actually happens, now that I have the parts, is that a spring pulls back the sector, which rotates the starter gear backwards on the shaft. No problem, unless the engine kicks back, in which case it flips the pedal up mighty fast and hard.

Backwards rotation "unwinds" the starter grip spring, and allows the pinion to rotate backwards. Forwards, it grips a bit like a chinese finger puzzle, so it is a "mechanical rectifier".
sandman2234

Iron Horse... Kickstarter? Rings a bell

Post by sandman2234 »

Seems like I saw something on that somewhere...

Iron Horse Model X420 Kick Start Gas Motor NR Item number: 3840980529

Must have been on ebay... where else.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 80529&rd=1
BP 2j vs, SB lathe, W& S #4 Turret lathe, Maho 600P
J Tiers

Wheee....the shipping is more than

Post by J Tiers »

what the thing is worth, max. I just bought a complete one for less than the sum of the shipping and the $9 listed there.