MAP-3 diesel......what does it run on?

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

J Tiers

MAP-3 diesel......what does it run on?

Post by J Tiers »

Its a 2.5 cc russian diesel model airplane engine.

Got it with some other stuff, in its Russian (I think) box with instructions in Russian.

Standard "diesel" with carburetor and counter-piston, no glow plug etc.

I cannot read Russian, so I have no clue what to feed this thing. But it's too cool to just toss or dump.

Fuel obviously must be something which will ignite from compression heat....contains ether or something else quite flammable?
Doug_C

Re: MAP-3 diesel......what does it run on?

Post by Doug_C »

Hey Jerry,

Go calling around to local hobby shops. Some carry model diesel fuel in small quantities. Pints quarts and gallons. There are sites online that give some instruction on mixing your own, if you have access to the chemicals. Which may be hard to come by individually.

DC
allanwaterfall

Post by allanwaterfall »

Model diesel engines run on a mixture of parafin,ether and oil with an addition of a small percentage of "dope" usually isopropyl nitrate (IPN) or amyl nitrate if you can still get it.

Parafin 40-50%
Ether 30-35%
Castor oil 20-30%
Dope 1-3% usually about 1&1/2-2%

For plain bearing motors better to use 30% oil anyway not less than 25%

Typical competition mix for combat would be 50% parafin 30% ether and 20%oil with 1&1/2-2% dope for a ball race motor.

45% parafin and 25% oil for a plain bearing motor.

For running in 33% parafin,33% ether and 33% oil.

Probably easier to buy a propriety mix from a model shop

Allan
MikeG

Post by MikeG »

http://www.cafes.net/doctordiesel/

This is the fuel I use - great stuff.

MikeG
In the shop; a Jet 8x36 vert mill, Jet 13x40 lathe. Harig 612 SG. Burke #4 HM. Van Norman #76 piston griinder
629SW

Post by 629SW »

Go to www.Davisdieseldevelopment.com to purchase the fuel or mix one part ether (starting fluid), one part kerosene, and one part castor oil. This is what I remember mixing and running well in a model Diesel.
oheider

Post by oheider »

Model airplane diesels are great fun and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to run one. I mixed my own fuel out of starting fluid, kerosene, and motor oil. Commercial diesel fuel works better because it has amyl nitrate in it. I could write instructions but the instructions for running one can be found on the web. I have a Russian engine that I could never get to run, Russian quality control was sometimes not there. I have another Russian engine that ran fine.
Have fun!
Otto
mrb37211

Post by mrb37211 »

I believe that "parafin" in the UK is the same as kerosene in the USA and not the wax used to seal jars in home canning. Charles
J Tiers

Post by J Tiers »

Thanks

I figured it had to have some pretty volatile stuff in it. Sounds like a good idea to keep the cap on the fuel can screwed on pretty tight, and the can out in the garage.

This engine appears to have the counter-piston frozen, as compression pressure does not force it up against the screw. The thing has not been run for a long time, and it was glued by old oil when I got it.

The sale also had a nice little 9 x 18 model 400 Logan lathe in original dark blue and hardly any wear. All the accessories (no taper) and $600. (If it had been the OTHER model 400, which is 12" I might have considered it..)
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Charles, what in the everlovin' blue eyed world are you doing over here on this list??? Trying to find some super duper fuel to burn in your Simplex rail car you are building??

Unka(People turn up in the strangest places!)Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
mrb37211

Post by mrb37211 »

Just wandering around, Unka Jesse. Wonder if a person could find a turbocharger or a roots blower for a lawn mower engine??? Charles
epilot

Post by epilot »

For the record the name is "MARS" - the name on the engine is in Cyrillic letters. I have owned one of these and it runs well. However some of my clubmates had problems with broken crankshafts in these.

Michael