4-cyl gas engine article from 1952

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Brian Austin

4-cyl gas engine article from 1952

Post by Brian Austin »

FYI, I have scanned an article in an old pulp book from 1952 called Hobby Craft Handbook that details construction of a small 4-cylinder "racing" engine.

It was built using castings (apparently from a company called Walls Model Engine Laboratory in Chigago), although there might be enough information in the drawings to machine the parts from scratch should you want to.

The book also contains similar articles for building other small engines. These old craft books are fun, though I may never get around to trying to build anything.

Any historical information on the Wall engines?

Brian Austin

http://public.fotki.com/BrianAustin/ref ... o/engines/

http://public.fotki.com/BrianAustin/ref ... o/engines/
Doug_C

Re: 4-cyl gas engine article from 1952

Post by Doug_C »

The Wall engine has been around for many years. I'm sure some here can give a better history.

I have seen some of the casting kits from years ago. Very crude. The crank was pinned together in what looked like very rough handwork quality.

The heading in that article of this being a racing engine is laughable. I would doubt it could put out much power or longevity. Many improvements have been made since then though.

Here is a link to see one run.

Ken's Engines

DC
Brian Austin

Neat link.

Post by Brian Austin »

Neat link. The Wall-4 sounds great.

A friend of mine is looking for a small multi-cylinder IC engine for his 7¼" gauge diesel loco to run a generator and traction motors. I wondered if the Wall-4 would work.

Brian Austin
UnkaJesse

Re: Neat link.

Post by UnkaJesse »

Brian, I seem to reckomember that Cole's sold the Wall four castings at one time and still may so so. You might try them.

Unka(Strictly steam)Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Brian Austin

I presume you mean Cole's Power Models?

Post by Brian Austin »

I just found that site via Google. I'll forward all this stuff to my friend.

Too bad he doesn't have a computer. He's missing all this neat stuff.

:-)

Thanks,

Brian (I like just about everything) Austin
Doug_C

Post by Doug_C »

Hey Unka,

Aren't you forgetting that radial engine you have that runs on pure air? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]

DC
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Tell your freind that such generator/traction sets do not miniature well in the real world. The secret to success of a running locomotive that is FUN, is to follow all the steps of proven designs layed out in many years of trials in model RR magazines. Dont try to re-invent the wheel, there are many traps.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
UnkaJesse

Post by UnkaJesse »

Doug, I ain't forgot the air fueled radial, but I am still waiting on that big check from the oil companies so I will keep it off the market. Maybe they forgot they offered me 10 million dollars for me to destroy it????

Unka(Yes indeedy doo, it runs on pure air, from an air compressor which gets its electricity from a TVA steam plant at New Johnsonville, TN, which burns coal. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/cool.gif"%20alt="[/img])Jesse
"The same hammer that breaks the glass, forges the steel" Russian proverb
Mike Rehmus

Re: I presume you mean Cole's Power Models?

Post by Mike Rehmus »

The Wall 4 is alive and well. It isn't easy to build because of a few casting problems but it does run.

We probably have 6-10 Wall 4's of various stripes in the club membership. OHC, OHV, F-head, and flathead variants.

You can see one here that was build by Dick Pretel.
http://www.baemclub.com/Images/photos1/ ... 20Wall.jpg

Best regards,

Mike Rehmus
Editor, Model Engine Builder
www.modelenginebuilder.com (when the website gets back up [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/frown.gif"%20alt="[/img])
Keith

Re: 4-cyl gas engine article from 1952

Post by Keith »

I got to looking at the albums and spent an hour there. I almost forgot how I happen to get there. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.
Keith, From the land of Oz, although not the Wizard of.