About "New" Engines, ever heard of the "OX2" ?

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

FXRocket

About "New" Engines, ever heard of the "OX2" ?

Post by FXRocket »

OX2 web page

I found this motor a few years ago and was wondering if any of you have ever heard of it yet? I know it had some big names thrown in like Carroll Shelby and a few Indy racing guys.

I figured it would be in production by now.
jutz

Re: About "New" Engines, ever heard of the "OX2" ?

Post by jutz »

Conceptually, it's really just another variation of the swash-plate engines which have been around for a long time (at least since the 1960s). The use of a cam instead of a swash-plate theoretically allows more flexibility in timing but it's difficult to actually achieve such flexibility because of the violent accellerations likely to be produced. There's also very little (none that I know of, but I'm certainly not omniscient) evidence to suggest that such flexibility would actually accomplish much. The theory suggests that the cam would actually have to be reconfigurable while the engine is running in order to improve things anywhere outside of a very narrow optimal operating envelope.

Personally, I think they still have quite a bit of development curve ahead of them.
SpinDoctor

Re: About "New" Engines, ever heard of the "OX2" ?

Post by SpinDoctor »

Yah, just another variation of the "Barrel Engine" If this was really advantadges over conventional IC engines I think we would of seen one a long time ago. I do remember a company in Kansas City IIRC correctly that was trying to market a sine cam 12 cylinder about 20 (?) years ago.