Primus Burner

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

solek

Primus Burner

Post by solek »

The Robinson engine calls for a Primus BJ 8842 burner, to heat the hot tube, which the USA distributor does not stock. They only sell the Primus camp stoves. They still make the burner over seas as "Google" has hits for it. Has anyone made the Robinson 1/2 scale from Alyn Foundry, and what was used to heat the hot tube?
Orrin

Post by Orrin »

I cannot answer your question about the Primus, for sure; but, let me suggest eBay.

When did you get your castings from Alyn? I've been trying to get the Robinson castings from them for ages, but they keep telling me they're having problems producing them. They said they'd sell me the plans, but no castings.

Regards,

Orrin
So many projects, so little time.
solek

Post by solek »

I bought the kit from Cliff Shrock, at Men Metal And Machine show this year. Cliff had a store in Portland, but due to having a stroke, was closing the store. He found the kit as he cleaned out the store, and brought it to the show to sale. It is an all cast iron kit, and as hot tube kits are not very common, so I bought it. The only problem is the prints did not copy well, can not read some of the numbers. Can not get an email reply, from England, so do best guess to fit parts.
When I get to it, will add some more details on casting kits area I started some time ago.
Orrin

Post by Orrin »

My bad luck turned out to be your good luck. I tried getting the castings from Cliff a few years back, but he said he didn't have any left.

Good for you. Please let us know how it turns out.

Best regards,

Orrin
So many projects, so little time.
solek

Post by solek »

Cliff did not sell the kit because it was missing the valve inlet chest (head) casting and did not get a repacement fron Alyn. Made one out of bar stock.
solek

Primus Burner

Post by solek »

Found the burner I needed. If you need Primus burner they are now sold by Sievert Industries which has an office in Loves park Il. The packing said both Primus and Sievert.
solek

Engine

Post by solek »

Found this in another web. Are you still wantingthe hot tube kit.

Hi to all long suffering Alyn Foundry devotees (for want of a better description).

I spoke to Graham Corry yesterday about the state of his business and here is the general gist of
what he told me:

About 2 years ago he suffered a heart attack and the casting business was put on hold until he
recovered. Once back in operation, Graham and his son went to a local foundry on a Saturday
morning to get castings produced. A small time operation because he did not want to get too
stressed.

Then in the last 18 months or so, things have gone all pear shaped with some major setbacks.

1. His wife has had serious health problems and he is now almost a full time carer for her,
leaving very little time to develop the business.

2. He had 4 plate patterns stolen from the foundry. Sods law that they were from 4 different
models! New patterns will have to be produced. He did not say which models were affected.

3. Then the local foundry has closed down, been raised to the ground and is now about to be a
housing estate. The nearest foundry is 40 miles away (on congested British roads), so they
are understandebly not too keen on an 80 mile round trip each Saturday.

However, all is not Doom and Gloom.

Graham tells me he has some complete casting sets in stock. These are:
10 x Gardner Size O (Hot tube ignition)
10 x Robinson X Type (Hot tube ignition)
3 x RLE (Spark ignition)

For those of you across the pond, Cliff Schrock used to sell Alyn Foundry kits until he
(apparently) gave up his business. Graham said that Cliff was able to get far cheaper shipping
rates for the goods than was possible from the UK. How, I don't know that bit.

I know many of you have tried to email Graham, but he said he rarely looks at his email because he
is on dial up and pay as you go rates. He is prepared to accept phone calls between 1800 - 1900
hours British Time for those wanting to purchase an engine. His phone number is 0044 1244 548434.
If anyone phones, Please respect his wishes about the calling times.

There have been a couple of approaches from a British company to buy his designs, but obviously
the price offered was below what Graham was prepared to accept. However, it certainly would look
like the designs are not going to be lost.

Hope the above helps.

I'll be posting this information to other similar groups.

Regards

Dave
The Emerald Isle