Coles' 1" Four wheel switcher

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

There were some construction articles in The Miniature Locomotive, a magazine put out in the early 50's.
"A Beginner's Locomotive" by Cliff Blackstaffe?

"The Miniature Locomotive" was published every two months. I have from May-June, 1952 through November-December, 1954, which I believe was the whole run. Publishers were Richard Bagley and Robert Day.
AWDPete

Post by AWDPete »

You have mail :!: PM sent.
Regards,
PeteH
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I dug out my Miniature Locomotive magazines. The Cole's 0-4-0 isn't Cliff Blackstaffe's Beginner's Locomotive - that was 3/4" scale. There weren't any construction articles, just a description. It is only mentioned in one article - Puff'n Billy Line by Viola and Eugene Paul, on page 22 of Volume 1 Number 2, The Miniature Locomotive for July - August 1952.
Joe Tanski

0-4-0 Puff'n Billy Drawings

Post by Joe Tanski »

I have a full set of orginal Puff'n Billy 0-4-0 1" scale full size drawings dated march 29 1952 name on darwings E.J. Paul 19 drawings in set 20"x34" great condition never used white back ground blue lines

Also have 0-4-0 3/4 scale drawings (4 sheets Blue prints)
dated 1-1-36 Charles A. Purinton same engine as Puff"n Billy design

will part with both sets make offer
Joe
AWDPete

Post by AWDPete »

Is "Puff'n Billy" the name the magazine gave to the Coles 1" model? Are these the drawings used to build the Coles 0-4-0?
Regards,
PeteH
Joe Tanski

Drawing

Post by Joe Tanski »

From what I am told they are the same
Joe
Allen

Post by Allen »

Gee, I had a Puff'n Billy casting set that I picked up on eBay and re-sold 2 years ago at Cabin Fever. I never made the connection.

BTW: It sure had well 'seasoned' castings (They were wrapped in newspapers from the early 60's)
AWDPete

Post by AWDPete »

I recieved a reply from Coles, here it is:

PETE: No on the book. As for the 1 inch switcher, I do have the castings (cylinders casting are coming in soon) and plans in stock.
Greg
CPM

Marty: Is it just a general description or is there any info in that article that would assist in building the loco?

Joe: I'm still waiting to hear back from the gents with the "seasoned" castings for sale, I will let you know about the drawings.
Regards,
PeteH
mattmason

Almost Done....

Post by mattmason »

I am just about done with mine. I changed a few things, most noteably the 6" boiler is now a 5" and made of steel. I have been very happy with the project. I basically only have the plumbing left to do to get it to run.

I know of a full set of castings that a gentleman might consider getting rid of if all your other leads fall through.

Matt Mason
AWDPete

Post by AWDPete »

Cool, another one built - well 'almost' built :wink:

Steel boiler, yup that's a bit of a change! What else have you done differantly?

Any coments on the drawings, errors, omissions?
Regards,
PeteH
RRTRAX1

Post by RRTRAX1 »

I have one in steam, steel boiler, slip ecentrics, coal fired, runs nice !!
AWDPete

Post by AWDPete »

RRTRAX1 wrote:I have one in steam, steel boiler, slip ecentrics, coal fired, runs nice !!
And yet another steel boiler :!:

Slip eccentrics, is that what the drawings call for or is this something you changed :?:

Can you post some pics :?:
Regards,
PeteH