Panhead rebuild project...

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Patio

Re: Panhead rebuild project...

Post by Patio »

Exhaust pipes, oil, battery, some gas, and I think I might fire it up tomorrow!?
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

OK, This is now tomorrow and the sun has been up for a few minutes, how does it sound. :wink: :lol: Anyway, can you get a video when you fire it up? :)

Jack.
Patio

Post by Patio »

I am still here, and doing well. I just finished with the camper project, so I should be getting back to the bike real soon. Summer is coming, or so they say. I can't tell by the weather we have been having.

I have gotten the bike fired up and run it through 2 heat cycles before it got real cold this winter. It is not yet tuned, making it hard to start. I have been waiting for some warmer weather to start it again. I still need to work on the charging system. It was not working the last time I had it running.

I will take a video, when I get her running half way decent.

More to come!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Jack, ask and you shall receive.
20160917_185728a.jpg
This is the very first fire up of the bike. Also with a cameo appearance by none other than our own Harold V. For some, this will be the first time you have seen Harold or myself, don't expect to much!

The first 7 minutes of the video is of me, just kicking it. It starts at about 7:15.

I have yet to work any of the bugs out of it. I have started it one other time, since this video was made. I have been waiting on warmer weather. As you can see, starting it on a warm day is hard enough. Once it is in tune, it should start reasonable easy.

https://youtu.be/j35crdrXWT8

More to come!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Sounds pretty good Pat. What is that squeal I hear while the engine is running?

Jack.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

This makes me want to get back to work on my 1927 Indian Scout....it has been apart for far too long.

Keith
Patio

Post by Patio »

Thanks Jack. The squeal only happened that first time. I have fired it one other time, without the noise. I believe it was a bearing in the cam chest that had not gotten enough oil yet. There is also a issue with the firing of the rear cylinder, it has a miss. The charging system is not operational yet, and I believe the rear cylinder miss, may be to low battery voltage. It is getting warm enough to spend some time in the shop and get these things sorted out. I should have more news in the near future.

Keith and 1927 Indian Scout, in running condition, would bring a pretty penny right now. That would be something else to see running. I think you should move it to the front of the project line. :D

Thanks for the interest on my bike projects.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Thanks Pat, keep the updates coming.

Jack.
Patio

Post by Patio »

As things stand now, I need to finish the exhaust, move the coil, regulator and the ignition switch.

I have changed to a different coil and the high tension leads rest up against my leg while sitting on the bike. I don't like the idea of getting shocked, while going down the road. The ignition key is on the left side of the bike and is not convenient, if I need to kill the motor for some reason. The coil originally set where the ignition switch was. (Where the wires are hanging out, but the seat post) I will move the coil back to it original position, move the regulator to its original position and put the ignition where the regulator is now. (Other side of the bike). I have redone the kickstand, so it will work, now that the bike sits lower to the ground. I put a new bend in it and cut off the extra length. I will need to put a little loop of wire on the end of it, so I will be able to set it with my foot once the primary cover is back on.
20170801_220416a.jpg
I bought a new exhaust system for it. It is an original setup, being a two into one. The front header connects to the head via a spigot on the head. These spigots go bad and get replaced, as this one has been done. I am not sure if the spigot was not set at the proper angle or if the new exhaust header is not made properly. Either way it would not fit.

I decided to bend the header to fit what I had. I made a mandrel out of wood. I also made some cushion blocks out of wood, but they did not hold up to the pressure, for even a minute. I acquired some plastic material, (Don't know what is really is.) to make the cushion blocks from. I made a couple of plugs, for each end of the header, so I could fill it with sand, to keep it from kinking during the bending process.

The plugs.
20170801_215110a.jpg
The cushions. (Cause I don't know what else to call them)
20170801_215150a.jpg
The setup to make the mandrel.
20170710_214940a.jpg
A video of how I made the mandrel.
https://youtu.be/Uhet2v15D3s
The fit of the mandrel.
20170710_215020a.jpg
Continued in next post!
Last edited by Patio on Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Here is a picture of the set up, in the press.
20170715_161718a.jpg
I attached a dial indicator to the ram of the press, so I could monitor the amount of movement of the mandrel. I added a couple of clamps on the press, to keep the sides from spreading out. (The clamps are below the frame of the picture) I only had one chance at this. Because the plugs set inside of the header, I could install it with out removing them, to do test fits. I just did it a little at a time until it fit.
20170715_161727a.jpg
Here is the exhaust system installed.
20170801_221346a.jpg
Summer is wonderful here in the NW and I have spent the last few weekends, at motorcycle rallys in northern California and on the coast of Oregon. Also a couple of weekends camping in the truck camper. It does keep one from getting much done. Then there is all the yard work and I built a pad to park the truck camper on. I do stay busy, just not always on the projects and I have a job. :roll:

That's it for now, more to come as I get it done. Thanks for looking!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
JackF

Post by JackF »

Pat, thanks for the update. Nice work on the bending. :)

Jack
Patio

Post by Patio »

It's alive!

It has been two years to the day that I brought this Panhead home. Today was the first day I have had it off the bike lift to run it. It ran well and I am happy!
There are things that still need doing. Like putting lock tight on many of the bolts, messing with the shifter linkage to get it to shift nicely, and I need to get the charging system working too.
It is a little rainy today, so I put it back in the shop, till better weather arrives, to take it out and start shaking it down.

Here is a video of it's first run, around the block.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPT346o ... e=youtu.be
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!