One man's insanity---the story of an induction furnace

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

rrnut-2

Re: One man's insanity---the story of an induction furnace

Post by rrnut-2 »

One way to look at your furnace; If it was an older ham radio, you have to tune the transmitter to the antenna. This is what the output stage, with the capacitors, of your induction is; the tuning stage.

Jim B
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Patio used that as an example when he was explaining the operation of the furnace to his brother, who is a ham radio operator.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Just for fun, here is a couple of pictures of Harold's furnaces. Harold can speak about them if he wants, I am just providing pictures. :)
20201220_141513.jpg
20201220_141519.jpg
20201220_141527.jpg
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Patio wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:34 am Just for fun, here is a couple of pictures of Harold's furnaces. Harold can speak about them if he wants, I am just providing pictures. :)
Bravo! 👏
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Looking good!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

It has been a long and difficult chore getting the induction furnace operational. I had issues with overheating the power supply, which have now been resolved. It requires a water temperature no greater than 90° at the inlet, otherwise it shuts down because the return temperature from the motor/generator cooler will exceed 130°F. It now discharges well below a safe limit. The problem was solved by adding a heat exchanger and changing the fan system. The fan is powered by a three horse motor. It's noisy, but it works. I also provided for an overflow in the coolant tank so cool water can be added, which is introduced at the bottom. Those changes completely eliminated the problems I was having.

Not having any experience in casting iron, each and every move has been a new experience. My first attempt resulted in failure, as I was unable to preheat the ladle adequately. Turns out there was a restrictor in the fuel supply hose that limited the amount of fuel it could deliver (propane). That has been altered to permit greater flow. I suspect that I will now be able to preheat the ladle adequately to provide a longer interval between filling and pouring.

Tuesday of this week, with the help of my good wife, I ran the furnace. I poured three flasks. The third flask, which was a mold for a casting weight (placed on top of the mold to prevent the cope from floating due to internal pressure) chilled before the flask was full, so it is not a complete casting, although it's still functional. The other two flasks were identical, a casting to replace the missing indexing pawl for the index head for my #2 Cincinnati cutter grinder. I poured two to ensure I'd get one that was useful, or in case I scrap one in machining.

Here's a picture of the first one poured.
DSC00023.JPG

Here's a picture of the one I have cleaned up and intend to machine.
DSC00025.JPG

Here's a picture of the remaining two flasks. The one to the right is the other casting for the index head, with the one to the left the flask for the weight. The two open face molds seen to the left are to be used for emptying the ladle when all of the metal is not used. They were not needed.
DSC00024.JPG
H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Very impressive, Harold.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Looks good!
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

One thing I don't understand;
" in case I scrap one in machining."

Please tell us that doesn't happen to you, or the rest of us might despair!

Fantastic outcome, and of course when you don't use a casting it can just go back into the crucible.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

liveaboard wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:48 am One thing I don't understand;
" in case I scrap one in machining."

Please tell us that doesn't happen to you, or the rest of us might despair!
Heavy sigh!
I last ran my machines for gain back in '83. At that point in time, making errors was exceedingly rare. As an example, I provided (difficult) work on a regular basis for Litton Guidance & Control. In my 16 years of doing so, I had only five rejections. I was quite competent.

Sadly, those skills die if they are not exercised regularly, and they haven't been. I now make stupid mistakes that wouldn't have happened then. So, I am not pleased to report that I no longer can walk on water.
Fantastic outcome, and of course when you don't use a casting it can just go back into the crucible.
For which I am eternally grateful, as the learning curve is quite steep if one hopes to produce sound castings, and I do. There is much that one must know, and, like machining, there is no substitute for experience, which I lack entirely. That said, I have a firm conviction and will, hopefully, overcome my shortfalls.

Thanks for your comments.

H
shootnride

Post by shootnride »

Well, for a guy with no experience, that's a pretty nice looking casting. I've seen MUCH worse from people that do have experience. Nice work Harold.

Ted
Some people raise the IQ of the room when they enter.........others when they leave.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks, Ted.

H