The Packard V 8

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

JackF

Re: The Packard V 8

Post by JackF »

NP 317, did you ever go the the home machinists meetings held at the old Seattle Georgetown Steam Plant? If so maybe we saw each other. At another part of the plant some live steamers used to set up and demonstrate their wares.

Packard V8, is it true that the early Studebaker V8 was made from Cadillac castings?

Jack.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Jack:
I visited the Georgetown Steam Plant twice when live steam activities were going on.
It is an amazing historic facility! Too bad that vertical turbine will never get operated again.

Who knows: We might have crossed paths!.
~RN
Packard V8

Post by Packard V8 »

JackF wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:58 amPackard V8, is it true that the early Studebaker V8 was made from Cadillac castings?
There are definite design similarities between the 1949 Cadillac V8 and the 1951 Studebaker V8. The most likely explanation was during WWII, automotive engineers were being moved all around between the various corporations as war production needs changed. Even though there was a prohibition against working on post-war civilian projects, GM supposedly did all the design for the Cadillac and Oldsmobile OHV8s on war production time and budgets under "high-compression aircraft engine development". Engineers who'd been in on the planning and design at GM moved over to Studebaker and used what they'd seen and learned to speed the Studebaker V8 into production.

FWIW, the early Cad intake manifold can be bolted onto the Studebaker V8. The only ones worth doing are the '55 Eldorado 2x4. The Studebaker V8 adjustable rocker arms were used when the Cad V8 racers switched to a solid lifter cam.

jack vines
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

There were PT boats and bomb recovery boats from WWII that used V-12's. Way back after the war, I knew a news correspondent who bought a war surplus boat with 3 V-12's. He had it docked in the Hudson river. I once had the pleasure to take a ride on his boat. The thundering sound of those engines was something to behold. My father had a big old Packard around 1934; I can remember taking vacation in that car and getting my finger crushed in a car door. The Packard was the poor man's Deusenberg.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Packard V8

Post by Packard V8 »

Greetings, All,

This is an old thread, but I'm an old guy and with every Studebaker and Packard V8 we build, I learn some new detail about these engines. The 1951-'64 Studebaker V8s have many similarities and quite a bit of interchangeabilities, but there are always differences to be noted. Some parts which look the same are not interchangeable. Some which appear different will.

The Packard V8 was only used in 1955-'56, but there are three displacements, 320", 352" and 374" and quite a few differences between the '55 and '56 versions. For those who sneer at the power potential of the Packard V8, it powered the first slingshot dragster to exceed 150 MPH.

jack vines
JackF

Post by JackF »

From another old guy, I was told once that the first studebaker V8s were similar to the old cad V8s. :roll:
I could be wrong. :roll: :wink:
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

JackF wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:29 pm From another old guy, I was told once that the first studebaker V8s were similar to the old cad V8s. :roll:
I could be wrong. :roll: :wink:
Hmmm. Old Cad V-8's were flatheads. Is that what you're talking about?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JackF

Post by JackF »

No, the first overheads. My bad. :wink: