3LD510 Lombardini

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Jorg50

3LD510 Lombardini

Post by Jorg50 »

Is anybody familiar with this Diesel engine?
What are the main issues with them?
There is one for sale but it has rod and main bearings that got tight because not enough lubrification but by measuring the end play and backlash of the oil pump it is in the tolerances of the manufactor the rest of the oil circuit is good.
Thanks for any help.
Harold_V

Re: 3LD510 Lombardini

Post by Harold_V »

Bear in mind, I am not a diesel mechanic, nor a diesel expert.
Unless you're prepared to do a full rebuild, it is my opinion that you should not get involved with that engine. Bearings don't magically get tight without damage to at least the bearings. It is the resulting damage that makes it tight, and also responsible for the compromised oil pressure, which the engine may have displayed. That circumstance may or may not have damaged the crank. If the engine ran long enough to damage the bearings, there's a reasonable chance that cylinder walls aren't in great condition, nor would the cam and lifters be. Engines don't run long without proper lubrication.

That said, and you are hell bent on buying, if you could tear it down and examine it before committing to do so, it would be a good idea. I might be wrong about the extensive damage. Just playing the devil's advocate.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Jorg50

Post by Jorg50 »

Hello Professor Harold V, thank you for what you have taught me regarding all of your posts about grinding wheels, soft jaws, sharpening HSS etc. I have read them all very well written, in my opinion you should write a book, because not every one has the Know how to explain in a simple way that you do.
I am a Automotive technician and was formal educated at Franklin Institute of Boston. Probably it is a shame for me to ask this question but nothing in life is perfect and since I am not familiar with this engine maybe there are some problems associated with them. There´s going to be the need to measure everything, do a leak down test, have a gauge to measure the oil pressure it is not going to be a normal rebuilt because there was a problem with it. Yes, your advice is correct and that´s what was agreed on for me to tear down the engine a see what is wrong with it.
Doug_Edwards

Post by Doug_Edwards »

Jorg50,

Lombardini engines have a very good reputation. I think you will be impressed with the robust simplicity of the engine.

That engine is post 1980, as before 80, it was model 510.

That model is no longer available in the US due to not being able to meet emission standards, and seems to be somewhat sought after. I used to see the Lombardini engines for sale on Craigslist, but don't see many any more.

You can find some parts on Ebay, including sellers from Europe. I think there is a manual on line for that model, iirc.

Aside from low oil, I don't know anything that would make the engine seize up.

Regards,

Doug
http://www.precisionlocomotivecastings.com/
Building a 70 ton Willamette in 1.6"
Building a 80 ton Climax in 1.6"

"Aim to improve!"
"Mine is not to question why, mine is just to tool and die"