Gunstock Blank

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

earlgo

Gunstock Blank

Post by earlgo »

I found this really good deal on the internet for a grade A Black Walnut stock blank. Only $78.
Stock Kit
Stock Kit
stock kit.jpg (21.03 KiB) Viewed 12205 times
No mention that it was a 'KIT'. I was not amused.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
earlgo

Re: Gunstock Blank

Post by earlgo »

Ok so no-one has a sense of humor about stock blanks.
Maybe it will grow into one like this.
walnut blank
walnut blank
That might end up looking ok like this one did.
LeFever stock
LeFever stock
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
RSG

Post by RSG »

LOL, when will it be finished :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vision is not seeing things as they are, but as they will be.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Good shot RSG. I'll keep you posted.
Here are some others it may grow into.
1889 Marlin
1889 Marlin
Wesley Richards
Wesley Richards
This one ought to be fun to work, too.
Maple blank
Maple blank
7448_1[1].jpg (23.61 KiB) Viewed 12063 times
--earlgo
RSG

Post by RSG »

Stunning!

Would love to see process pics....

A trio of gunsmiths from Britain setup shop near me (Frank Malin, Nicolas Makinson and Arthur Troth). Arthur made some beautiful shot gun stocks, some of which were commissioned by Prince Charles back in the day. Guys had some serious skills. They reworked a beautiful Browning Citori Lighting Grade VI O/U for me that had too much cast-off. Arthur's gone but Nick still works in the trade I think.
pete

Post by pete »

Some very nice wood and stocks there Earl. Your pictures very much reminded me of the Reinhardt Fajen catalog I once had. An appreciation of fine wood and high end custom bolt actions seems to now be fairly rare today and most seem to want in my opinion butt ugly military type AR's. They leave me cold, getting the job done with one well placed shot out of a well tuned bolt action over spraying and praying just isn't the same. If you don't already know of this channel? https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZyT56 ... -bQ/videos And his video about machining a barrel blank with integral open sight mounts and sling swivel done old school on manual machines with dros and coordinates https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UaPfRsXnkM&t=6s is really quite something. The fully completed rifle is here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JP0IsZxSe0&t=1760s
RSG

Post by RSG »

Pete, I'm guilty of being one of those guys that likes the composite stocks.....for my field rifles! I'd never consider them for my shotguns though. You have to admit the stability they give when talking about that "one chance shot" on a 400 yard bull moose in foul weather was one less thing you had to worry about. But nothing can compare to a beautiful double gun dressed in fancy wood!

and thanks for the videos, I love watching them.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

This is what happened to a $50 '98 Mauser when a student gunsmith got it home.
98 Mauser
98 Mauser
Mauser#2 sm.jpg
Mauser#3 sm.jpg
It changed from 8mm to 250 Savage. Found a Neidner butt-plate and pistol grip cap, Timney set trigger, shotgun trigger guard, blind magazine and Koa wood forend tip. (The eraser is for mistakes. :lol: )
Pete, the '89 Marlin is a Fajen semi-finished stock, but the rest are hacked from blanks. There was a fellow in Denver that sold Walnut blanks to the fellows at the Colorado School of Trades for very reasonable prices. I have a Model 70 Winchester that found a Herter's laminated walnut maple semi-finished stock. It was the most difficult thing to work I ever did, including the squirrelly wood shown above. The grain in the 1/4" laminations ran every which way making using a plane nearly impossible.
--earlgo
pete

Post by pete »

Yep your 100% right RSG and I'm enough of a realist to appreciate all the benefit's composites or plastics brings to the table on a working gun in the field. My 6 mm PPC bench gun has a carbon fiber stock with the action and barrel semi permanently glued into it. Unlike my wood stocked hunting rifles it's point of impact has changed very little since I had it built and did the initial zero. For a serious hunting rifle in variable temperatures and humidity then yeah it's a no brainer. I guess my point was more about the aesthetics of custom bolt or double actions over one of the black semi autos with every clamp on accessory installed until they start resembling a porcupine. :-) I lump there all too common Tactical term into the same category as those using the Billet word for automotive parts. It's good were all different I guess, but I'd take a single one of MNR Custom bolt guns over any 10 semi autos no matter who built them.

Very very nice work Earl, and a classic list of part manufactures on your also classic 98. I've never actually inletted an action & barrel into a stock blank, but have read more than enough to appreciate how tough, painstaking and the amount of skill it takes for that work. Herters is also another name I haven't heard in a real long time.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

One more and then I'll quit boring you. This has a BSA miniature Martini in .22RF in it's future, if all goes well that is.
curly blank
curly blank
Ok maybe not the last one.
--earlgo
pete

Post by pete »

Wow very nice wood for sure Earl, that bottom piece has the best pattern in it I've ever seen so far on a rough stock blank. It should be amazing once it's finished.