Diesel Injectors

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

jteexy

Diesel Injectors

Post by jteexy »

Has anyone built their own fuel injectors for a diesel engine? I understand that building injectors is a high precision operation, and that most engine builders farm out the pump/injector work to a specialty company. What techniques are involved in building an injector? Any links to references?
Harold_V

Re: Diesel Injectors

Post by Harold_V »

I suspect that unless one has precision grinding and honing capabilities the results will be questionable and quite time consuming. The degree of straightness and roundness would be quite challenging for lathe work, as would surface finish. Close tolerance and surface finish are closely related, neither of which are easily accomplished by turning alone.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Just overhauling a dirty injector is a truly eventful exercise.

There is a very good reason why injectors cost what they do.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

On YouTube are several videos by an individual in Europe who built proper model Diesel engines, including injection pumps and injectors.
The author goes into some detail into these two components, but will not discuss how he made them.
A skilled machinist ought to be able to build a functioning engine from these video's descriptions.