Railroad Warehouse 2.8.2 Mikado Logger Build

Where users can chronicle their builds. Start one thread and continue to add on to it.

Moderator: Harold_V

Odyknuck

Railroad Warehouse 2.8.2 Mikado Logger Build

Post by Odyknuck »

Rather than have many post's in the Forum, I decided to do a build log. A little History, I recently joined the local "Lakeshore Live Steamers" club. I needed a Locomotive so after a month or so of searching for one, a decision was made. It was a project started 20 years ago that was never finished. Approximately 75% of the machining was done on it and a very big plus for me as I did not want to spend years building one and completed units are not cheap. It came with a complete set of drawings. Also came with an Ed Perry Boiler that never had water in it. The chassis is pretty much complete, and the Cylinder machining was complete however needed some refining.
While I was waiting for it to ship from Arizona, I started building a stand for it. I already had a basic frame left over from a Honda Pilot mini buggy Frame stretch project from years ago. I also have a pneumatic Motorcycle lift the frame was built for that allows me to raise it up higher to work under the Loco. The bottom pic is of the Loco sitting in the POs back room.
Attachments
Basicframe.jpg
frame with gap.jpg
frame unpainted.jpg
frame drop.jpg
frameGapLoco.jpg
loco1.jpeg
NP317

Re: Railroad Warehouse 2.8.2 Mikado Logger Build

Post by NP317 »

Good to get your BLOG started.
The 5th photo shows the front pony axle in the air. Just like mine was after fabrication, it has insufficient vertical motion and might lead to derailments.
That issue has been resolved this year on my Mikado.

'Looking forward to continued exchanges here.
RussN
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

I built the Stand from scrap material left over from a CNC Mill shipping crate my buddy gave me. It was somewhat twisted up from ruff handlining however I made do. I mounted it on 6" steel casters to freely roll around. I wanted a drop section in it to be able to remove one set of drivers as needed without lifting the Loco. This is the stand with the loco on it today. I still need to make provisions for the unloading ramp however that's for another day.
Attachments
LocoOn frame.jpg
Last edited by Odyknuck on Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

NP317 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:57 am Good to get your BLOG started.
The 5th photo shows the front pony axle in the air. Just like mine was after fabrication, it has insufficient vertical motion and might lead to derailments.
That issue has been resolved this year on my Mikado.

'Looking forward to continued exchanges here.
RussN
Russ, I took your advice to do the log. There are issues with the suspension that need worked out along with many others. I will get into as we go along. You have been a great help with this project thus far and I do appreciate it.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

One of the things I was concerned about was the Boiler as it had been sitting for 20 years. The Boiler is steel with copper tubes. So I bought an endoscope camera that works from an app on my Phone. As it turns out, it does a pretty good job of inspecting the inside of the Boiler. It has a built in LED light so illuminate as you inspect. I plan on taking some pics of the inside as soon as I figure out how to do it with the APP lol
Here are some pics of the Boiler including the steam control valve in the Dome.
Attachments
BoilerFirebox.jpg
Boiler Tubes.jpg
fire box.jpg
steam valve.jpg
Andy R

Post by Andy R »

I am looking forward to reading your posts.

Build logs are a great way to remind yourself how much work that you have done, and they give the rest of us inspiration to continue our locomotive projects.

Regards,
Andy
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Having an already built boiler of known quality is a huge plus.

In the early photos of the stand, it looks like the fore to aft footprint of the lift section is quite a bit shorter than the rails. If that's the case in the finished product, you might consider extending the footprint of the lift section to avoid things going very wrong if you end up with the load at one end, such as using it to load the locomotive into a truck.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Odyknuck:
Interesting that your Ed Perry boiler appears to be a standard design for an Allen Models locomotive. It is not built to the drawings provided with the 2-8-2.
And that can work to your advantage:
The crown sheet is lower than mine, providing more steam space in the boiler. That also makes the dome throttle more effective with less chance of water carry-over during operation.
One of my concerns with my per-plans boiler is the narrow operating band of steam space. Water carry-over is a possibility.
I don't think you will experience that problem.
Also the standard dome throttles in Perry boilers seem to work for years without problems. At least mine has.

Looking forward to your reports.
RussN
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Dick_Morris wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:52 pm Having an already built boiler of known quality is a huge plus.

In the early photos of the stand, it looks like the fore to aft footprint of the lift section is quite a bit shorter than the rails. If that's the case in the finished product, you might consider extending the footprint of the lift section to avoid things going very wrong if you end up with the load at one end, such as using it to load the locomotive into a truck.
The Boiler is the main reason I bought this project. The way I viewed it, I bought the Boiler and the PO threw the rest in lol. If you're talking about the Motorcyle scissors lift, it will not be used to load into a truck. The lift will only be used to work under the loco or bring it up to a comfortable level depending on what I am doing. I will make sure the load is always centered when up in the air or as you say, bad things can happen. I also use it to work on my X3 SxS, Snowmobiles, Lawnmower and Harley etc. The Loco stand is 8' long and the so are the rails. I designed the stand to be at the same level of my truck bed. Roll the stand up to the truck, lock the wheels and roll it off.
Last edited by Odyknuck on Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

NP317 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:10 pm Odyknuck:
Interesting that your Ed Perry boiler appears to be a standard design for an Allen Models locomotive. It is not built to the drawings provided with the 2-8-2.
And that can work to your advantage:
The crown sheet is lower than mine, providing more steam space in the boiler. That also makes the dome throttle more effective with less chance of water carry-over during operation.
One of my concerns with my per-plans boiler is the narrow operating band of steam space. Water carry-over is a possibility.
I don't think you will experience that problem.
Also the standard dome throttles in Perry boilers seem to work for years without problems. At least mine has.

Looking forward to your reports.
RussN
Well, that's good to know as I was a little concerned about getting a hot water bath when running it lol. Also good to know the throttle is reliable and full proof. It was pretty stiff when I got the Boiler however working it with some lubrication on the throttle shaft and pivot points freed it up nicely.
Waiting for my 2" sight glass from Locoparts as we speak. It's not one of Jeff's standard offerings so it's taking a little longer! Jeff are your there, Jeff...................Hey Jeff lol
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Andy R wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:21 pm I am looking forward to reading your posts.

Build logs are a great way to remind yourself how much work that you have done, and they give the rest of us inspiration to continue our locomotive projects.

Regards,
Andy
Thanks Andy, I cannot take all the credit for this build as the Previous owner paved the way many years ago with all the work, he put into it. I still have quite a way to go.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

One of the things I have been working on are the valving Pistons. I have another thread on this subject and I see there is still some activity. I want to bring that up to date here. As the other thread states they were not made too print and out of Brass (new machining confirmed that) and out of one piece. The new 1" bore rings are thicker than the ones I had, requiring more clearance. We went back and forth with what would be the best approach and I decided to meet it somewhere in the middle. I machined the ring groves to .850" Diameter giving the rings a .040" clearance. I made them wider to allow .002" - .003" lateral clearance. I took off .008" on the ends to have .010" clearance in the bores and .006" off the Bull ring sections to give .008" of clearance in the bores.
I did the setup between centers on my lathe using a friction compression fit as I was dealing with soft material and making very small cuts. I used a live center in the tailstock and a Morse taper 3 fixture in the chuck. I had .004" of runout in the pistons, so I had to remachine the Morse taper point to get it concentric ending up with an acceptable .001" total runout. I used a .079" wide grooving tool to machine the Pistons making first root cuts and walked the tool over to get to .095" width I needed. I used the same tool to reduce the ODs. Then finished off the sharp edges with a Cratex stick. The bottom pic is of the pistons as I received them.
Attachments
spinning.jpg
concentric.jpg
gap.jpg
completed valves.jpg
pistonpre machining_rotated.jpg
Last edited by Odyknuck on Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.