Is buying a part finished project worthwhile?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Odyknuck

Re: Is buying a part finished project worthwhile?

Post by Odyknuck »

I feel your pain David as I too am experiencing similar on my project! Good thing I am an optimist.
David Powell

Post by David Powell »

Winson.s kits were based on Foden overtype steam wagons, I have never had my greasy hands on one. I built my own freelance version some years ago and it is now with my son and his family
There is a lot of difference in the work needed when comparing bringing a badly made engine into working order and finishing off someone elses well built , but unfinished project.
The decision making is easy when you are simply adding to a well made but unfinished project-- simply make your pieces as best as you can to the drawings, making sure they properly fit the existing parts.
But, when faced with a rough basket case there are many alternatives, all of which will be better than the original. maybe none of them will be as good as you like, perhaps time constraints and the urge to ' get her going" will influence how far you go.
Breakfast is calling. Enough for now, Regards David Powell.
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

A much younger (6 years ago !) view of the wagon that David built:
ImageDSC_0009 by Peach James, on Flickr

With the trailer finished:
ImageM4H02863 by Peach James, on Flickr
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

I suppose I should note something about the wagon above- it started out as someone else's project, in the form of David Turner (who moved to NZ from Ontario) boiler, which got a rather large dent put into it where the cylinder should have sat. (it's a 1 1/2" Allchin boiler). That's all that arrived- a mostly unuseable boiler with a rather large dent in it. Everything else is imagineered by dad (and a very little bit by me). It has a couple issues- the biggest one that annoys me is the gearbox engagement travel is a bit limited, and it tends to throw its self out of high gear when I'm on the trailer (at 250 lb, the problem might be solved by deducting 1/5th the mass of the driver...). I run it on propane, because it's far easier for the schmoes (both of them) to drive without worrying about firing every 200'.

ImageUntitled by Peach James, on Flickr

is the gearbox out of the engine with a highlighter marker being used to judge that the gears were meshing about as far and even as I could manage. Note the two burners- yes, they are that close together, yes, they are that tight in the box, yes I need 2 of them...