Thread Locker shelf life

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

nessism

Re: Thread Locker shelf life

Post by nessism »

The expiration date relates to how long the manufacture guarantees its product will fully meet the specifications. Typically, a material will last longer than the expiration, but don't expect stuff decades expired to function like new.
Odyknuck

Post by Odyknuck »

Yep, just use a little more lol
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

I have a bottle of anaerobic Loctite hydraulic sealant that is some 40 years old. It still produces leak-tight joints on pipe fittings subjected to pressures well over 1000 PSI. As it is an anaerobic sealant, I keep the application tip open to atmosphere, with a shop rag protecting it from dirt.

If there is an expiration date on the stuff, it must be in microscopic print. I’ve yet to find it.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:24 pm
Rich_Carlstedt wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:07 am How does 35 years sound ?
Rich,
I have a small bottle of LocTite that is more than 50 years old and it still works, although it does appear to harden at a slower rate. I rarely rely on this product, choosing, instead, to provide proper fits for the task at hand.
In another century, back when I was a young punk working on locomotives, we usta say Loctite works great in applications where it isn’t needed. I’m with Harold on this one. Other than pipe thread sealant in fluid power applications, I’ve yet to find a good use for Loctite. Precision machining will trump high-priced “glue” every time. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I could give you several 1000 times when Loctite has saved the day in my career, not just my hobby.

There is a time and place for everything :mrgreen:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

What Bill said, and in defense of his stance, the degree of precision that may be required for proper machined fits often comes at a high price. LocTite is a great way to avoid that cost. However, one thing that became obvious to me early on is that if you never try to hold tight tolerances, they are difficult to achieve and often happen more by chance than design. By routinely working closely, even when it isn't required, a skill level is achieved that is difficult, if not impossible, to otherwise achieve.

There's a reason for that. One does not machine the same way when working loosely as opposed to working to tight tolerances.

My late teen life wasn't easy. I was a total screwup as a kid and was threatened with being fired from my training program (as a machinist). In order for me to redeem myself I had to achieve beyond their expectations. I did that by striving to be the best possible machinist I could be. Gaining the respect of those who had attempted to teach me proper procedures came easily once I assumed my attitude.

One thing I try to remember. Each piece of work I do bears my signature (so to speak). I hope to instill in others the idea that I am a competent machinist. You don't do that by cutting corners.

Go with your strengths. If you are comfortable working to tight tolerances and would enjoy being viewed as one who is competent, make proper mechanical fits. If that isn't important to you and your objective is to "get 'er done" and out on the track, use the dodges that are known to work, but don't demand such a high level of skill. There's really no right or wrong---just different agendas. Both approaches seem to work well enough.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I think Harold said the final words on this subject and those apply to the general philosophy of life.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX