Nathan double top check boiler feed valve

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

phil davis

Re: Nathan double top check boiler feed valve

Post by phil davis »

thanks so much
phil davis

Post by phil davis »

Mine will be fitted to the 800, with the sellers feed water heater, I think from photos they may have had the Nathan top checks before being fitted with the SA type feed water heater. happy to be corrected. I will be doing a drawings for the body, perhaps as just a T piece with commercial checks hidden elsewhere. Will post it up here if anybody wants one when complete.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

the idea with the top-feed check valves was to feed the water into a perforated trough above the water line, so the incoming water would be heated by steam, rather than mixing cold water into the hot water in the boiler.
I know that the N&W Used a series of horizontal baffle plates in the top of a small auxiliary dome on their M1 class locomotives (the second batch) that was supposed to act like a semi-feedwater heater. The theory was exactly as stated, that the water would have to cascade over a series of hot plates before reaching the boiler water, and it would thus be heated up somewhat. That device and the problematic Walscharts valve gear were the only differences between the M1 and the original M class locomotives. Both items didn't work as intended, especially the flawed Walscharts valve gear on these locomotives. The baffle setup was never tried again on any of the N&W locomotives. Of course, a few years later, true feedwater heaters came out and that was that.

I know that EE was talking about producing them, but I had thought they said this would be project 2 or 3 years down the road. I'd like to get one if someone produced it commercially.
765nkp

Post by 765nkp »

Brian had them. I think he makes them to order.
JasonA

Post by JasonA »

Brian has made them in the past, I have one, but it was very expensive due to the cost of the printed parts.

Jason
Attachments
IMG_20220327_200055474.jpg
IMG_20220327_200055474.jpg (355.98 KiB) Viewed 2183 times
IMG_20220327_200049189.jpg
IMG_20220327_200049189.jpg (291.14 KiB) Viewed 2183 times
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:40 am
the idea with the top-feed check valves was to feed the water into a perforated trough above the water line, so the incoming water would be heated by steam, rather than mixing cold water into the hot water in the boiler.
I know that EE was talking about producing them, but I had thought they said this would be project 2 or 3 years down the road. I'd like to get one if someone produced it commercially.
For what it's worth, I do still plan to make Nathan top feed checks (both styles) in 1.6", but it's unfortunately not very high on the priority list. Check & globe valves, safety valves, and Simplex injectors are currently at the top of the to-do list. Unfortunately there's only one of me, so I can really only work on one project at a time.

I don't believe I ever said 2-3 years. I think 12-18 months would be realistic.
Nathan Top Feed - 2 Injectors Back.JPG
Nathan Top Feed - 2 Injectors Back.JPG (163.25 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
Nathan Top Feed - 2 Injectors Front.JPG
Nathan Top Feed - 2 Injectors Front.JPG (180.2 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
Nathan Top Feed - FWH INJ Back.JPG
Nathan Top Feed - FWH INJ Back.JPG (159.87 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
Nathan Top Feed - FWH INJ Front.JPG
Nathan Top Feed - FWH INJ Front.JPG (159.72 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
Anthony Duarte
http://www.EccentricEngineer.com
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

So why does the feedwater heater take a different check than the injector?
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:41 pm So why does the feedwater heater take a different check than the injector?

The pump side is a bit more complicated to help reduce losses from the repeated hammering of the check valve. Larger diameter, less valve lift, a longer valve guide, and a spring all help reduce losses every time the valve changes direction. Since the injector delivers a consistent stream, all that extra stuff would hurt more than help.

Nathan Top Feed Check Inject and Pump_fixed.jpg
Nathan Top Feed Check Inject and Pump_fixed.jpg (196.34 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
Anthony Duarte
http://www.EccentricEngineer.com
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Thanks, Anthony.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
phil davis

Post by phil davis »

thanks for the photos of your 3d model that answers a few questions about shape
phil davis

Post by phil davis »

here is my version according to drawings from Norfolk and Western, and other versions commented on here. Bit more work to do.
Attachments
nathan 1 v9_cropped.png
nathan 1 v9_cropped.png (181.36 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
nathan 1 v9 a_cropped.png
nathan 1 v9 a_cropped.png (158.45 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
Last edited by rmac on Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cropped Images
apm

Post by apm »

Now is there an affordable shapeways service that anyone has found yet where you can upload these files to and have the parts 3d printed to wax and then investment cast?

After seeing the work others are doing with 3D printing and investment casting online I am wondering if anyone is offering the whole thing as a service yet? Last time I had something like that quoted with shapeways it came back at stupid money and then others who have actually used the service report that the 3D printed and cintered parts they are receiving back can't even be threaded without destroying taps.