Investment Casting Costs

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

FKreider

Re: Investment Casting Costs

Post by FKreider »

JBodenmann wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:21 pm Now you know why I just make waxes and then send them, or take them to the foundry. I am more than happy to pay what I am charged for castings :D . Making consistent good castings is not easy.
Jack
I do the same thing although I typically take my master pattern to the foundry and let them make a mold and shoot the waxes. As Jack said its not easy and its also a lot of work!

I have a small sand casting set up at home that I can use for one-off castings but I wouldn't consider doing any kind of production volume this way.
-Frank K.
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

I have been looking into investment casting. But the entry fee and learning curve have put me off. I've been casting low temperature alloys in silicon molds with all in all good success. However, I now need somethings stronger in brass and/or bronze. I can make the patterns and 3D print the waxes. But I have no idea who to contact or where to send them. Any suggestions?

Dave
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Try Valley Brass and Bronze in Fresno. They have done work for some of us and also make HO and O scale parts. The owner is quite a skilled modeler himself.
http://tracksidedetails.com/tmContactUs.php
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

daves1459 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:35 pm I have been looking into investment casting. But the entry fee and learning curve have put me off. I've been casting low temperature alloys in silicon molds with all in all good success. However, I now need somethings stronger in brass and/or bronze. I can make the patterns and 3D print the waxes. But I have no idea who to contact or where to send them. Any suggestions?

Dave
Knowing your general location in the world will be helpful for people to make suggestions with regards to foundries.
-Frank K.
apm

Post by apm »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:06 pm Try Valley Brass and Bronze in Fresno. They have done work for some of us and also make HO and O scale parts. The owner is quite a skilled modeler himself.
Is he able to work off of 3D printed resin and does he have a preferred resin? What is the average cost per pound of casting when all is said and done? Or how does the pricing usually work when you go to a foundry?
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Give him a call. His phone number is in the link. He works alone and can't always get to the phone, though. I've heard that since a new business went in east of him he does his burnouts on Sundays as the new folks complained about the smell. So he could be there at odd times.

I've been there and have been impressed with what he does, but haven't used him myself.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

FKreider wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:32 am
daves1459 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:35 pm I have been looking into investment casting. But the entry fee and learning curve have put me off. I've been casting low temperature alloys in silicon molds with all in all good success. However, I now need somethings stronger in brass and/or bronze. I can make the patterns and 3D print the waxes. But I have no idea who to contact or where to send them. Any suggestions?

Dave
Knowing your general location in the world will be helpful for people to make suggestions with regards to foundries.
Joliet, Illinois. or 35 miles southwest of Chicago

thanks, Dave
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Dave:
Feel free to add your location to your ID block here at Chaski. Convenient.
Cheers,
RussN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

NP317 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:06 am Dave:
Feel free to add your location to your ID block here at Chaski. Convenient.
Cheers,
RussN
What Russ said. It would be totally unreasonable for anyone to expect readers to read through countless numbers of posts in an attempt to try to discover where a reader resides, and where an individual resides often dictates the answer that might be dispensed to an inquiry. You can expect far better help by being open with the readers.

No, it isn't a requirement. It IS a damned good idea, though.

Here's why.
As a moderator, I dedicate a huge amount of my time to this board. I try hard to provide guidance in machining procedures, as I worked as a machinist/toolmaker for a grand total of 26 years, sixteen of them running my own small commercial shop.
I make no attempt to hide from readers. I assume them to be my friends, although there's no doubt some find me a boorish individual.

That said, if a reader chooses to hide from the readers, I assume he has something to hide. Does he/she? Hard to say. But I personally prefer to play it safe and avoid them.

This board is trustworthy to a fault. Administration can't even access passwords if necessary (they appear as dots, not characters).

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:06 pm Try Valley Brass and Bronze in Fresno. They have done work for some of us and also make HO and O scale parts. The owner is quite a skilled modeler himself.
Thanks for the tip. I'll give Valley Brass and Bronze a try.

Dave
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

I used Valley Brass and Bronze a few years ago to cast parts for 1.6" scale Westinghouse compressors. Not sure if anything has changed since, but he did say that the double barrel cylinder casting on the compressor was about the biggest thing that he could cast as it just barely fit his flasks. He was quick and easy to deal with and I was happy with the quality of the castings. YMMV (your mileage may vary)
Ward
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

daves1459 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:37 pm
Thanks for the tip. I'll give Valley Brass and Bronze a try.

Dave
I talked to Dave Sciacca at Valley Brass and Bronze today. Nice guy and easy to discuss with. Unfortunately, the parts I need ae too large for his centrifugal casting machine. Dave says he can only handle jewelry size or slightly larger. He is however looking at a journal box cover for me. Attached is a picture of what I currently need. One part is a steam cylinder cover and valve body for a 1.5" Westinghouse 9 1/2" air pump. The other is a condenser for a sight feed lubricator. I have the waxes and need four castings each. Anyone have another casting source suggestion?

Dave
Attachments
DSC02948 (1).JPG
DSC02948 (1).JPG (121.92 KiB) Viewed 1373 times