Help holding thin material for fly cutting

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

jcfx

Re: Help holding thin material for fly cutting

Post by jcfx »

I'm going to give that tape a try, it's cheaper than the tape I order from McMaster.

Just a note to super glue users, of which I'm one for VERY thin parts on the mill,
Golden West sells a superglue remover, Super Solvent, it works great at removing
parts off a plate and the glue residue, it works a lot better than acetone.

https://www.caglue.com/US-1-bSuper-Solv ... _p_35.html
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Today I received the roll of two-sided tape I ordered. Indications are that it is very acceptable for use in holding parts. It's thin, so there is no movement of the part under the cutter, and appears to be sticky enough to grip adequately. The isolation strip is robust--absolutely will prevent any stretching of the tape and is easy to remove. I have not tried it on the mill, but I am well pleased with what I received.
Thought you might like to know. At this point I recommend it highly. The 1" width would be my recommendation. Mine is 1½" wide.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Harold--

I received mine today, as well. It is 2" wide and I have also not tried it.

--Bill
You are what you write.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I'd enjoy a report when you do, Bill.
I made my purchase because of the number of times I could have used some tape and didn't have it on hand. In my experience, even when I machined for gain, it wasn't used much but when you need it not much else will do.

At this stage of the game I'd rather have the money tied up in useful objects than have it doing nothing. Amazing how one's perspective changes as age rears its ugly head and one's mortal existence becomes uncertain.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
seal killer

Post by seal killer »

Harold--

Here's my plan for the age-thing. At 108 I am going to sit back and think about what I am going to do with my life.

--Bill
You are what you write.