which Arbor Press to purchase?

Topics include, Machine Tools & Tooling, Precision Measuring, Materials and their Properties, Electrical discussions related to machine tools, setups, fixtures and jigs and other general discussion related to amateur machining.

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

EOsteam

which Arbor Press to purchase?

Post by EOsteam »

MSC has some offshore Arbor presses for sale in their monthly sales catalog (Metalworking). I need to purchase one to complete several pressing operations for my 1.5" locomotive that is being constructed. The first job will be pressing crank pins into the drive wheels. The crank pins are roughly 1" in diameter and will be pressed in with heat on the wheels and cold on the pins. Which press is adequate? I have a choice between a 2 or 3 ton single leverage press. The 3 ton is much heavier and more expensive but if that is what is needed that is what we will get. What does the group think?
Thank you for any help you can offer.
Harper
Harold_V

Re: which Arbor Press to purchase?

Post by Harold_V »

I own a 3/6 ton Dake press. It is marginal for my use and often isn't enough for my purpose.

I think you need to rethink the idea of using heat/cold and pressing. They don't really go well together as the intimate contact of the parts readily transfers heat, so you're really not gaining anything by combining them and you may just create a problem with seating the components if you don't have enough pressure for the chosen fit.

Just sayin'

H

Edit: To clarify the press description----the press has compound leverage and is quickly changed from three to six tons just by pushing one pin.
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
EOsteam

Post by EOsteam »

Harold: How would you accomplish the task?
John Evans

Post by John Evans »

3 ton is the minimum for a general shop arbor press, and get a ratching one for sure. That way you can maximize the force YOU put into the press. For your job a 12 ton hydraulic press cold is the way to go.
www.chaski.com
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

EOsteam wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:38 pm Harold: How would you accomplish the task?
I would recommend having greater tonnage at one's disposal so the parts won't stall midway through installation, which is a distinct possibility.

The best possible scenario (assuming you don't want to use LocTite) is to make proper fits and heat shrink. When the exterior piece is heated appropriately and the internal piece is chilled properly, the parts will assemble without issue, assuming good alignment. They slip right together effortlessly. One must be able to handle the parts without harming skin but that's not a big deal at the temperatures involved. Welders gloves will serve adequately.

If press fitting is the chosen method, it really helps if the holes have been (properly) honed (more precise in diameter and a uniform surface finish) plus a lead is machined on the pin so it can be inserted partially and started erect. If the pins can be ground, all the better.

I'm not suggesting that not honing and grinding can't or won't work---it's just insurance that a job will run better. It's also far easier to size components by these methods, with the resulting surface finishes far more conducive to being assembled without issue.

A comment about "proper" honing.
Enough can't be said about the use of a rigid hone when a straight and round bore is required. The typical spring type three stone drill motor driven honing tool isn't capable of making any corrections. If a hole isn't round and/or straight, you'll improve surface finish but you have no control over size, roundness and taper. I do NOT recommend the use of such a hone.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Early in my hobby machining life I purchased a 12-ton hydraulic press, way before the days of Harbor Freight.
I have used it extensively and it has been invaluable.
I recommend you get one such as this Harbor Freight unit.

https://www.harborfreight.com/search?q= ... ic%20press

RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

In some cases it is not a limit of pressure but one of throat depth.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
mcostello

Post by mcostello »

I have a 3/6 ton that serves most uses. Also have a 20 ton for back up. 20 ton will smear metal, don't ask.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

A heavier press can do more jobs; straightening and bending for instance.
On the other hand, a lighter press is cheaper, quicker, and easier to use.

So it depends on the work you will want to do in future.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

I'd go with a 12- or 20-ton hydraulic press. I'm aware of at least one USA-based company that produces them.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Note:
Besides my 12-ton hydraulic press I also have a 1-ton hand arbor press for smaller work.
I easily find tasks for both tools.
RussN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

NP317 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:39 pmNote: Besides my 12-ton hydraulic press I also have a 1-ton hand arbor press for smaller work. I easily find tasks for both tools.
Yep! An arbor press is handy when required force isn’t high and you need a better “feel” of how things are going as you assemble your assembly. You’re less likely to crunch something due to a poor fit than you will with a hydraulic press.

The hydraulic press in my shop, by the way, is a Sunex model, rated at 20 tons. It’s a “Made in USA” product and has been flawless.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D