Gauging interest... Copper Tube

For the Buying/Selling/Trading of items of interest to those of us in the Live Steam Hobby.

Moderators: gwrdriver, Harold_V

Mike Walsh

Gauging interest... Copper Tube

Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi Folks

I'm working on possibly acquiring some 6" Dia Type L copper tubing for some boiler projects.

I thought I would throw up a post to see if anyone is interested in going in on a piece of tube.

I could acquire and cut, and package for distribution.

If interested, let me know.

Not sure on timing but hoping in the next few months, maybe.
Thanks!
Mike Walsh
Marty_Knox

Re: Gauging interest... Copper Tube

Post by Marty_Knox »

Mike, how much do you need? I have a piece that is almost 8' long. It's buried at the moment. I'll dig it out and get an accurate measurement next week.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

IFWIW

looked at that a while back when i needed a length of 5.5" copper. It was cheaper to purchase a cut piece from the UK and have it mailed than purchase a length and deal with freight costs.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Freight costs have skyrocketed across the board, recently I have found that getting things across the pond is incredibly expensive so I'm not sure that is the case any longer.
-Frank K.
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Especially living in an area such as St.Louis I would start calling around to not only suppliers but also pipe fitting, fire suppression and other places that might have a few feet of left over sitting around.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Good luck with that 🙂

Frustration squared (unfortunately)
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

ALCOSTEAM wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:04 pmEspecially living in an area such as St.Louis I would start calling around to not only suppliers but also pipe fitting, fire suppression and other places that might have a few feet of left over sitting around.
Years ago it wasn't this way, but the problem with that these days, in my experience, has become that while the guy you need to see (the Machine Shop or Warehouse foreman) might be willing to help on a personal basis, when you say the word "boiler" all kinds of liability flags are raised and they can't be any part of that.

It's been a while since I've gone begging at the Shop door, not because I haven't needed to, but because that door is now often shut or at least restricted. When I was still able to do that though, I always did a couple of things . . . I took a small example or component of my work along and ask them to help me accomplish what I was trying to do, and then if possible I disconnected the material I needed from anything having to do with steam engines, and of course NEVER a boiler (or a still!) I'd usually say I was building an experimental device for the local university and I'm trying to avoid buying a 20ft length of material in order to get the 6" (or whatever) I needed.

I also always expected to pay for it, although every once in a while I got a freebie, and it sometimes seemed relatively expensive, but the bargain was being able to get a small piece locally, or at all, rather than having to buy a full stick, or order it from overseas.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Amen to that description.

The cold call to scrounge is basically a dead end anywhere that you do not know someone on the shop floor to make a connection.
Blondihacks

Post by Blondihacks »

I’ve found eBay to be a good source of large diameter copper pipe for boilers. You can buy 12” lengths, you have your choice of L, K, or M, and prices are surprisingly reasonable. I’ve bought two 4” pieces and a 6” piece that way and never been disappointed. There are a lot of great off-cuts resellers on eBay.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Marty had eight feet….

🤷‍♂️
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

makinsmoke wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:18 am Marty had eight feet….

🤷‍♂️
He changed his mind about selling it.

I was able to find some material from a fellow board member who reached out privately. I have 8 feet on hand, should be plenty... But I will be sure to reach out in the future again if I find another need for more tube.

I am not surprised at the silence - Silver Soldering is becoming a lost art.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Looked around eBay. Could not find anyone with 5" available..oh well