Identification

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Re: Identification

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Thanks for the additional info on coal vs. oil. There is a town west of here in Central California called Coalinga. Historically, it was Coaling Station A for the SP, and it's easy to see how that morphed into Coalinga. And it's amusing that among its main economic drivers are a state prison, a state mental hospital, and cannabis growing. And one of the biggest annual events is the horned toad derby.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:57 pm...among its main economic drivers are a state prison, a state mental hospital, and cannabis growing.
At the rate California is going, the weed business will be gone, leaving only those other things. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
RThomp

Post by RThomp »

I've seen pics of a 4-6-0 with P valves and Walschart built from Little engines "modern" 2-6-0 parts, but I think it used allen 8 inch drivers. I believe was lettered CofG.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

That was a locomotive built by MSLS charter member 'Bud' Bartholomew. It does indeed use LE 0-6-0 cylinders and valve gear, and Allen Models 8" drivers. It is a very good looking and good running locomotive. It was rebuilt about 8 years ago by John S. who is on this board.
MSLS #1b.jpg
MSLS #1b.jpg (211.29 KiB) Viewed 945 times
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Bartholomew's original version was intended to model a Tennessee Central Rwy locomotive which he said ran through where he grew up. This was the first live steam locomotive I was able to watch being built.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
datman

Post by datman »

Thanks for all the information :). I was hoping to find scale drawings for 5" loco. The H10 popped on my radar, but it is a 7 1/4 gauge, bigger than I am looking for. Also I like the Kozo K27, but it is 3 1/2 gauge. I will have to stick to drawing up the BR55 which I am a fair way through, lots details to add, like piping, whistle backhead layout etc.