Custom Locomotive interest?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

PRR5406

Custom Locomotive interest?

Post by PRR5406 »

This is NOT AN OFFERING (yet).
A young mechanical engineer friend is gearing up to start a custom steel parts shop using CNC plasma cutters, mills, and other computer managed machinery. While he is going to be cutting steel for a local company, he expressed an interest in cutting 1.6" scale parts to construct steam locomotives as a side -interest of his own. I was asked if I knew of any popular locomotive which is not currently being produced, but desired. I can think of a few, but two came to the surface immediately. One would be a generic Camelback 4-6-0, based on the CNJ commuter locos. The other was the bi-directional CNR X-10a 4-6-4 tank locos which worked out of Montreal.

Is there interest in either of these designs? Can you think of other steam designs which would be easily transportable, fun, and worth producing in multiple copies?
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
wbarbe

Re: Custom Locomotive interest?

Post by wbarbe »

It would nice if someone could produce an inexpensive beginner locomotive kit. Maybe an 0-4-0 that could be purchased machined. Just a thought
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Boston and Maine B-15 Class Mogul 2-6-0. :D
-Frank K.
RThomp

Post by RThomp »

I feel like this gets brought up every 3-4 years. Problem is that everyone wants something different, and I'd argue allen with the line of 0-4-0, 2-6-0, 4-6-0, 4-4-0, 2-8-0 pretty well fits the bill for a cheaper/ slightly less complex design to build. Now I don't think they offer machined parts, but I'm sure if a builder was wanting to buy certain parts machined, Steve could connect you with a vendor that would help.

The 1455 above looks pretty much like an allen mogul...

Seems like he'd need to design a locomotive first, then produce patterns, then start doing CNC runs etc and hope that enough people buy it.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

The B&M Mogul is a winner, but I agree, it's almost an Allen Mogul. Other suggestions?
There is a great 0-4-0 available in the Reading A5a Camelback.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I do not quite understand the concept of

A popular loco that is not currently being produced?

Guess I am missing something.

Once your friend finds out how much work is required to put together a running on air chassis...and all of the design/setup/tooling/programming/$$ is required for just the basic parts...

If his company machines have that much free time available, the shop is most likely not going to be profitable since they will be competing with folks who are running 24/7 lights out automation.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Perhaps your machining friend would find more work and profit machining castings and parts for suppliers like Allen Models.
I know that suppliers have had difficulty getting items machined for their customers.
A good CNC facility could make real progress on that front.
Just a thought.
RussN
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

That's the point to the question. Is there a locomotive which people "crave" that is not being produced in numbers. Also, how can he make live steam more affordable to greater numbers of people. Supplying established companies may be one way. Producing parts to construct something missing fro the scene might be another.
I would ask that people not sneer at good intentions. It's an honest question regarding if you could have parts to build a locomotive otherwise unavailable, what might that locomotive be?
RThomp

Post by RThomp »

I think the issue is that everyone wants something different and the vast majority of people purchase unmachined castings for their projects, so it's tough to nail down a specific project that numerous people would want in machined form.

Offering machined allen mogul side rods etc is a very very different thing than designing from the ground up a clean sheet design for a new locomotive project. Plus the immense cost of pattern work. Just imagine how much $$ would be involved if you started from scratch to create the allen 4-6-0. Lots and lots of design/ drawing work, then thousand of pattern making hours then working with a foundry etc.

A "modern" piston valve, outside valve gear 4-6-0 would be neat, but again, not sure how many people would commit to a fully machined kit. plus no telling the R&D, pattern making etc time.
apm

Post by apm »

Everyone likes to point out the flaws in this idea every time it comes up, and yet over in England there are several companies doing just this. Perhaps the biggest one would be these guys, https://www.steamtractionworld.com/# why they're not making locomotives I don't know but it's a similar enough product steam powered and all that I think the argument is still relevant. I guess your friend won't know until he tries.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

apm wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:43 pm Everyone likes to point out the flaws in this idea every time it comes up, and yet over in England there are several companies doing just this. Perhaps the biggest one would be these guys, https://www.steamtractionworld.com/# why they're not making locomotives I don't know but it's a similar enough product steam powered and all that I think the argument is still relevant. I guess your friend won't know until he tries.
very true!! Unfortunately for us model engineering fans here in the states the hobby is nowhere close to as large as it is across the pond in the UK which means supporting this type of business here stateside is much harder. :(
-Frank K.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Not sneering, being realistic - unfortunately

The idea that RRSC is putting out is more realistic.

Take a proven design and find cottage industry to make parts. Similar to what Chet did 60 years ago.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.