Edwards 5 Radial Engine

This Forum is dedicated to the Hobbyist I.C. (Internal Combustion) Engine Community.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

deere_x475guy

Post by deere_x475guy »

Ivy, thanks and I will take you up on the balls and eclips. I haven't started machining yet. I have spent all my available time looking at the crankcase and getting my machining steps in order. I think I will be ready to start later this week. I need to replace that thrust bearing in the vice this evening then maybe cut the stock to length and get it mounted in the 4 jaw on the lathe. Also wishing I had mad the soft jaws for the chuck already. I still might do that before I have to rechuck the part for the second operation.

Later
Bob
deere_x475guy

Post by deere_x475guy »

Ivy and Paddy, how did you guys machine the slots in the Cam Housing? They each look different and I haven't decided how I should best go about machining them yet. Any tips?
siggy

Post by siggy »

The slots are cut with a woodruff key cutter or a slitting saw of 1.5" diameter and .125" thickness. All 10 slots are the same.

Robert
IvyMcNeil

Post by IvyMcNeil »

Hey deere_x475guy

The Dia. of the slitting saw is not critical as long as you can cut to the correct depth.

Ivy
Ret. Machinist/Toolmaker

I did not fail, I just found 10,000 ways that wont work.
deere_x475guy

Post by deere_x475guy »

Guys I seen that the radius is .75 so I figured I would need the woodruff or the slitting saw with a 1.5 dia. Ivy apparently you have found that the dia is not critical. Just curious why that is?
siggy

Post by siggy »

Yeah, Ivy is correct that the radius of the undercut isn't really critical. The slots are really just to hold the cam follower in place and alligned - take a look at sheet 20, part 008-1. As long as the slot is long (wide?) enough to allow the follower to lift up and down and deep enough to allow the follower to completely lift to max cam lift you'll be OK.

Robert
deere_x475guy

Post by deere_x475guy »

Hey siggy thanks. When I get back up to the house I will look at that sheet. I am in the shop right but don't have all the sheets with me. Just the 3 crankcase pages. BTW are you building one of these?
siggy

Post by siggy »

No, I'm not building one, yet... it is on my list of "someday" projects. Unfortunately, that list grows longer at the bottom by about 4x than I can complete projects off of the top.

Take a look at the name on the prints, though. I drew them.

Robert
deere_x475guy

Post by deere_x475guy »

As the light bulb turns on.....awh...K Robert. Nice to know your around. Very nice job on the prints. I have had these prints for awhile but wanted to wait till my skills improved a bit. I had to take a couple of years off and keep the machinery in storage condition (coated in oil) in my unheated pole barn. The wife and I decided to build our log home finally and that took pretty much the last 3 years and every spare penny I had. Finally I have the shop insulated, heated and dehumidified and soon to be airconitioned. More tooling has been acquired over the last 5 years and I think I am finally ready to get started.

Just a curious question here. I haven't found anyone that I can say has finished this one and has it running. Do you know of anyone?
Bob
Links To pics of shop and projects
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Deere_X475guy/Machine%20Shop/
siggy

Post by siggy »

deere_x475guy wrote:Just a curious question here. I haven't found anyone that I can say has finished this one and has it running. Do you know of anyone?
I sure do. Paul Knapp has a couple of them in his model engine museum at the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport. You may also know Ron Colonna - he's pretty much a legend in the model engineering community. He built one and has a nice web page including a video of his engine running at http://www.ronsmodelengines.com/Radial.html .

I had another of Ron's videos where he mounted his radial onto the front of a 1.5" scale train car and was using the thrust from the radial to pull himself around the rails. Unfortunately, I can't seem to put my finger on that video any more.

According to Ron, this is one of the best running radials he has seen. Coming from him that is high praise indeed!

Robert
deere_x475guy

Post by deere_x475guy »

I guess you do...:) I had seen that video with the train someplace and didn't know it was this engine. Also, just when I got your email I found Ron's pics at R&R.

Thanks siggy, do you mind if I bug you from time to time if I have any questions.

Also any of you guys going to be at the NAMES show this month?
Bob
Links To pics of shop and projects
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/Deere_X475guy/Machine%20Shop/
Paddy O'Sullivan

Post by Paddy O'Sullivan »

I made a cutter of correct radius and width from a broken endmill and silver soldered it to a shank which was held in a collet in the mill. Move the X and Z axes to give correct depth and position for each slot. I didn't have a slitting saw of the right radius and thickness. I'm nearly finished the crankcase now, I'll add it to photobucket when it's done.
Regards / Paddy
Paddy O'S.