prototype Southern Railway Ps-4 drawings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: Harold_V, WJH, cbrew

nickco201

prototype Southern Railway Ps-4 drawings

Post by nickco201 » Thu May 10, 2007 3:12 pm

I recently bought a partially built LE 7.5 inch guage 4-6-2 and I am going to build it into a Southern Railway Ps-4 4-6-2. Does anyone know where I might be able to find prototype Ps-4 drawings, etc?
I greatly appreciate any information.
Thanks
- Andrew

gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver » Thu May 10, 2007 3:43 pm

IIRC a complete set of drawings was published in Live Steam Magazine in th 1970's as a part of a loco building contest.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN

LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend » Thu May 10, 2007 3:50 pm

As far as individual Ps-4 drawings, I don't know any sources off hand.

If you can find someone with a copy, Wildwood put out a spiral bound book of an assortment of Ps-4 drawings. It was published during the 1970's about the same time as Wildwood published a similar format book of drawings for the UP's 4-8-4 FEF-3 class. The drawings were reduced to 1/2" scale from the origional size. The book's pages were 11"x17" with some pages that were longer and folded. The drawings were originally published in Live Steam and are the ones GWR is refering to. The drawings published in Live Steam and in the Wildwood books were by no means a complete set.

Wildwood was one of Bill Fitt ventures back in the days when he owned Live Steam magazine.

Maybe Bill Purdie (former Master Mechanic of Steam with the Southern Railway/Norfolk Southern's Steam Program during the 1970's/1980's) might have some in his collection. Bill's way up there in years, but last I heard, he's still with us.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it

nickco201

Post by nickco201 » Thu May 10, 2007 8:09 pm

Thanks for the information, Mainline modeler I believer, a few years ago ran a series on building a " gauge 1" Ps-4, but I don't believe there were any drawings.
I doubt TVRM or any other museum would have the drawings, maybe the SRR historical soceity..... I'll have to check.
Do you have Bill Purdie's phone number?

Thanks again,
Andrew

jmpharrington

Post by jmpharrington » Thu May 10, 2007 9:10 pm

You might try the Smithsonian...
The Southern Railway No. 1401 is there on display.

http://americanhistory.si.edu/onthemove ... ct_15.html

LivingLegend

Post by LivingLegend » Thu May 10, 2007 9:25 pm

I dont think you will have any luck at the Smithsonian.

Only thing they have is the engine.

Side note(s): Graham Clayter (former head of the Southern) once said had he been in charge at the time of the Ps-4 donation, it never would have happened. The engine would have been running in the Southern Railway steam excursion program when it was started.

Also the odds of the engine being removed from the Smithsonian and restored to operation are virtualy ZERO. Not because of operating, insurance, costs or not having a place to run it..... But the fact that the front and side of the building the engine is housed in would have to be torn down in order to remove it. The building construction was finished after the engine was put in place where it is now on display.

LL
Do it right.... Or don't do it at all
I have no life. Therefore, I have a hobby
It's not that I'm apathetic, I just flat don't care
An Intellectual is nothing more than an Over-Educated IDIOT
Blogs: Where people with nothing to say..... Say it

Rob Gardner

1.5" scale SRR Ps-4

Post by Rob Gardner » Sun May 13, 2007 4:00 pm

Andrew,

I think there have been more than one LE 1.5" scale Pacific built into the SRR Ps-4 and they all look good, too. The LE drivers are a scale 80" driver (10" actual) vs. the Ps-4's which were a little smaller at 72" or 74" IIRC. The Ps-4's boiler was a little larger in diameter, too so don't be surprised when you get a set of the drawings for the Ps-4 and start comparing it to the LE design. The Elesco feedwater heater and the tender with Commonwealth 6-wheel trucks will go along way toward making your engine a lot like the Ps-4. Of course a little SRR green will just top it off!

Good luck and we look forward to seeing some photos of your progress really soon!

Sincerely,

Rob Gardner

FLtenwheeler

Sylvan Green

Post by FLtenwheeler » Sun May 13, 2007 4:38 pm

Speaking of Sylvan Green.

I have been told that DuPont 1317 is the correct color for Sylvan Green. Can anyone verify this?

Thanks

Tim
He who dies with the most unfinished projects: Should of put more time into their hobby.

nickco201

Post by nickco201 » Sun May 13, 2007 5:28 pm

I greatly appreciate the information. I have learned that Rogers-Cooke Loco works at one time sold a full set of SRR Ps-4 drawings. So I will give them a call tomorrow.
I will certainly put the SRR green on it, elesco FWH, and the commonwealth trucks. I want this locomotive to very close to the original in detailing, etc. So, for this reason it will have a hodges trailing truck, 10 3/4 inch OD boiler. I am getting Duncan Herring to do the machine work on it.
The three pictures posted are of the three Ps-4s I have seen. The first picture is of Joe Holbrook's. Joe and I are very good freinds. The second picture is of Duncan Herring's. The third picture is of another Ps-4 that has been at the least two MSLS meets. I can't remember the owners name, but I believe he is from Arkansas.
Thanks
- Andrew
Attachments
MSLS meet ps-4.jpg
Duncan's ps-4.jpg
joes ps-4.jpg
joes ps-4.jpg

pockets

Post by pockets » Sun May 13, 2007 8:23 pm

If Duncan is doing the work, that engine will be top drawer, all the way.

Greg B.
When the man at the door said, "Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms," I naturally assumed it was a delivery.....

"From my cold, dead hand!" C. Heston

Glent

Post by Glent » Mon May 14, 2007 5:58 am

There is a PS4 that is located in South Australia. It was made by a true gentleman in our hobby. I am the lucky guy who is allowed to run this engine on his behalf. It was built from the Southern PS4 book that Wildwood produced. This engine runs as well as it looks. There is a picture of it in the current Live Steam issue.

Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner » Mon May 14, 2007 3:05 pm

Andrew,

YOu could also contact Klamath Locomotive works. They sell the SRR Ps-4 that Ralph Lathrop sold when he had East Coast Locomotive Works. Don't know what kind of trailing truck this kit has but you could probably get the Commonwealth tender trucks from them if nothing else.

Rob Gardner