Cladding a door, or panel or wall.....

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

PBrazier

Cladding a door, or panel or wall.....

Post by PBrazier »

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum. It looks like there are alot of informed people here willing to share. What a great place. I had a cabinet shop for many years in a huge old new england mill building. Throughout the building were many fire doors used to block off hallways or building sections. These doors were large glued up wood panels with a sheet metal cladding. The sheet metal work was beautifully laid out. Usually there was an inner rectangle formed by a major metal seam inset from the outer edges of the door 6" or so. Inside this rectangle was an arrangement of 12" to 16" square panels nicely seamed. Seams in this area were a lower profile that the seam of the outer larger rectangle. Outside this larger rectangle there would be some 45 degree joint/seams going from the outside corner of the rectangle to the outside corner of the door and a further arrangement of seams wrapping around the outside of the door. I've looked all around the web for information on these cladding technique and have come up empty handed. I'm thinking that i would like to use this technique to clad cabinet doors with a light gauge copper. Anyone know what I'm getting at here? Know where I can find further info?
Thanks,
Peter
Steve_in_Mich

Post by Steve_in_Mich »

Maybe more than art or structual the seams were born out of material available considerations. Scrap material and idle hands? I don't know the answer but I couldn't find anything in an attempt to search the web for info on door cladding.

Peter, welcome to the forum, maybe you can ask an easier question :wink: :wink:
Just because you don’t believe it - doesn’t mean it’s not so.