Milwaukee 261 In St. Louis Park, Minnesota, 10/1/2017

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Milwaukee 261 In St. Louis Park, Minnesota, 10/1/2017

Postby SOO2719 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:32 pm

Here is Sunday's 261 excursion to Glencoe on the Bass Lake Spur in St. Louis Park. The train is about to head off the old Minneapolis & St. Louis and onto the old Milwaukee Road. I was east of Beltline Boulevard at the grade crossing on the Cedar Lake Trail Mark, were you in the cab, or the tool car?
Attachments
261 headed off old MSTL main St Louis Park 10 1 2017.JPG
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

Mark D
Conductor

Re: Milwaukee 261 In St. Louis Park, Minnesota, 10/1/2017

Postby Mark D » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:12 pm

I was in the tool car. I had been on the engine overnight, around ten hours straight and needed to be ready for greasing at the other end. Plus, there are roughly eleventy seven trained firemen willing, able and ready to fire the beast. Another reason why I like the night shift. I actually get to be in charge of the thing for a while. We have so many 'firemen' that we keep two of them in the cab when running.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Postby SOO2719 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:00 pm

If you saw or heard a railfan calling out to Brandon, that was me.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 am

Actually, I was in my room sleeping about that time. First thing I can recall about the Sunday ride was somewhere past Chanhassan.
Mark D.

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:27 pm

In your room aboard the train? If yes, you don't know how cool that is to the rest of us foamers, Mark. :D :D :D :D

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:45 am

Ok, you can wipe all that white stuff off your face now. It's not at all like a stateroom aboard a cruise boat. Not quite enough space for a bed, a place to put luggage and myself. So it's kind of like those little plastic puzzles where you try to get all the numbers aligned in order. Move this over there, fold the bed up to sit between the hard hat and rain coat. Now where is my flash light?
But the shower is right across the hall from my 'closet'. It has been MY room ever since Steve bought the Grand Canyon some time back. It's important because I'm usually on the engine all night and I do need to sleep at some point.

So when we're going somewhere I can only be found either in the cab (at night almost always) or in the tool car Grand Canyon during the day. I never go back into the train. That, to me, seems to be what the newer guys do... Run all over the train to see it all. Been there, done that. I stay where I can be found if needed.

Mark D.

Return to “General Discussion”