2926 Derailment On Eve of First Steam Up - Update on last page 08-08-2018

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

John Bohon
Conductor

Re: 2926 Derailment On Eve of First Steam Up

Postby John Bohon » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:36 am

Thinking about this a little I know the track was rebuilt something like 5 years ago so I am sure the track is solid. Gage rods, they are not called bars, will probably do little to help since they offer little to no protection from a rail turning over. I wonder it they opened up the track gage half or three quarters of an inch to help ease the stresses the rigid wheel base of such a big locomotive puts on the rail? Today people have a great deal of difficulty understanding how much this helps. Today's world is obsessed with having everything to exact tolerances and it is difficult to get the point across that not everything has to be exactly as the today's book says.

There is no question the pit will need reinforcing. The only question is how do they go about it.

John Bohon

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:44 am

John Bohon wrote:Thinking about this a little I know the track was rebuilt something like 5 years ago so I am sure the track is solid. Gage rods, they are not called bars, will probably do little to help since they offer little to no protection from a rail turning over. I wonder it they opened up the track gage half or three quarters of an inch to help ease the stresses the rigid wheel base of such a big locomotive puts on the rail? Today people have a great deal of difficulty understanding how much this helps. Today's world is obsessed with having everything to exact tolerances and it is difficult to get the point across that not everything has to be exactly as the today's book says.

There is no question the pit will need reinforcing. The only question is how do they go about it.

John Bohon

I am like Sgt. Shultz as far as knowledge about railroad track, but I do understand that if it's quite tight against the opposing flanges there isn't room for what I'll call 'give'.
I have just read elsewhere that they do plan to beef up the support structure for the rails over the pit. Hopefully this doesn't happen again.
I worry more (for their cause) about how they are going to be able to operate with both the need for PTC and the revoked ability to use Amtrak insurance to operate on. I know where that has left us, and it's going to be the same for them. And after all that dedicated work they have done, and a good job it is.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:23 pm

I suspect correcting the issues with the pit will pale in comparison to finding a place and way to run 2926. Do I remember they have a pretty good arrangement with government officials in the area? That could help. Are there any regional railroads capable of handling a locomotive of this size in the area they could ferry to if the railroad would agree to the moves?

John Bohon

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:38 pm

She'll certainly have the spotlight with 3751 down for her flues. I don't know the logistics or if any of the information is current, but she was being restored in conjunction with the building of something called the Wheels Museum, which is currently headquartered here.

https://goo.gl/maps/Axu3NwurmsG2

I encourage anybody who appreciates old historical sites to look at this, this old ATSF complex is HUGE and still intact (except for the buildings that comprise the roundhouse). There's even a sliding locomotive table between the two giant buildings behind the turntable area. This is almost like the 'Cheyenne' of the ATSF, to me.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:03 pm

When I stopped in there back in 2015 they said they do have an agreement with BNSF on some trackage that is supposedly in good enough shape for their steam engine and consist to operate on. I was told where, but I didn't have a note pad and didn't recognize the name/s in the area so I can't say just where this trackage is.
However, even having that trackage to use with permission, that is not enough by itself for long term operation. Locals will need to be the ones who foot the bill for maintenance, insurance, repairs, equipment, fuel, water, and all the maintenance that is required for coaches. Plus more.

What will happen is that people who have ridden that route a few times will lose interest. This has happened before all to often, and it is what worries me because if there is another operation with steam that I root for it is these 2926 people.

But for now anyway, they apparently do have a place to operate. Signed, sealed and delivered according to what they told me.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:43 pm

This outfit is a class act. I sent them a contribution to assist in the rerailing of 2926. Today I received a hand written card and thank you from Mike Hartshorne, President of the NMSL&RHS. How many other organizations even recognize contributions? I sure wish I could be there when this beauty fires up. It won't be long.

Millhouse
Conductor

Re: 2926 Derailment On Eve of First Steam Up - Update on last page 08-08-2018

Postby Millhouse » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:19 pm

Official release from the NMSL&RHS today on 2926 -
The short of it is, pit repairs are near completion and first steam-up is in a few weeks this month.

'Santa Fe 2926 set for first steam third week of August.

Post from http://www.2926.us

We've had a couple of busy weeks.

Our forge masters have been turning out brass replicas of the 2926 tender plates. They have sold up through #8 so far. If you want one you better get your slot nailed down. Contact us through the web site link at http://www.2926.us. They are $100 and have to be paid in advance. It's best to pay by check or call and we can do a credit card for you. Our phone on Wednesdays and Saturdays is 505-247-3611. Ask for Rick Marsden or someone in the merchandise store.

Some of our volunteers have been working on the speeder (Putt-Putt) readying it for open house on September 29th. They have installed an alternator, a new battery, a new belt and a muffler to quiet it down a bit.

As of this writing the pit repairs are almost done with about one more hour of welding rail clips to the beams. This has been an expensive endeavor as it looks like we are about $7000 in the hole. Thanks to all the generous donors who have helped us out with this expense. Anyone else who wishes to donate to offset the pit repair cost are encouraged to do so.

Reconnecting the tender is close on the horizon.

Fire-up will soon follow most likely toward the third week of August or heating of the bricks starting on August 19th.

The replacement souvenir/merchandise store was delivered this week. Workers began interior work installing insulation, electrical wiring, paint and cutting boards as needed for shelving, stairs, etc.

The electrical gurus are still running conduit and wiring for several appliances and instruments.

GandyDancer, a railroad crew, came in to assist our volunteers install replacement track and re-regulate or re-gauge the track.

As usual the jacketing dance continues and the cash goes out.

With the engine displaced, various infrastructure projects go on, maintenance work on our equipment and other clean-up projects are handed out.

The Newsletter is about to be sent out, so please be on the lookout for it in your email.

Hopefully the weather won't be too bad this week; stay hydrated and get out of the sun if you need to, and as always...

Keep on Steamin,
Rick Kirby
CMO, NMSL&RHS"

Return to “General Discussion”