It looks like the Soo Line 2719 will stay in Duluth for now

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

John Bohon
Conductor

Re: It looks like the Soo Line 2719 will stay in Duluth for now

Postby John Bohon » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:15 pm

Who could not see this coming? Having just helped move a large steam locomotive I know first hand had difficult and expensive a job it is. We were lucky the railroads donated their part of the move or the price would have gone up drastically. Either someone at the city or some consultant was blowing smoke up their hind ends if they said it would be cheap to move this engine such a long distance. I hope the engine eventually finds a good home with people who will care for it. I suspect it may well be sitting in one such home and should have been left there from the beginning.

John Bohon

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:43 pm

Yeah, that engine has had a rough second life. First a group of dudes get it into good enough shape that it can run, and after a couple short trips they park it on a side track close to the main. Naturally they didn't bother to chain the drivers. Cars behind it didn't have hand brakes set and a couple of chocks said to be somewhere slipped - if they were ever there.
So the whole train rolls down a slight grade putting the engine in a position that it's fouling the main just a bit. Just a bit is just a bit too much and a Wisconsin Southern, (or something like that - I forget) comes along at track speed happy as a clam and winds up slamming into the port side of the engine. This does damage to the freight and the 2719 which had it's left side ripped up pretty bad and destroyed the air pump on that side.
That caused the railroad, which had been changing hands at this same time, to never allow steam punks to operate on the WS ever again. But then CN took over and they're zero tolerance for anything that says steam, so it will be a mighty long time before any steam runs on those tracks again. Probably never.
That sure hurt the 261 group.
So that's what started the plans to move it up to Duluth. The Duluth people were glad to have it. It was fixed up somewhere along the line and the Duluth group ran it and did minimal maintenance so it would keep running, but now that (I think this is right - I could be very wrong) the boiler time is up for the big inspection they don't want anything more to do with it. They want it out of their way.
No surprise. Duluth is a different country.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

tom c
Conductor

Postby tom c » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:56 am

Yes the boiler time expired and the museum has #28 to run so put #2719 away till #28 time was about to expire and then would do an inspection so it would be ready when #28 timed out. Then in comes the city and puts a crimp in the plans. Then #28 goes lame so the museum is out of steam for awhile till #28 can be made ready again. Looks like she should be running again this year as the running gear issues have been worked out. #2719 still awaits her fate!

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan instead of Colorado!

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Postby SOO2719 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:17 pm

2719 ran on the Wisconsin Central, while the Soo Line 1003 has found a haven on the Wisconsin and Southern (confound you, Canadian National...) Still, this is good news. I hope Eau Claire works out a lease arrangement with the Lake Superior Railroad Museum.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

tom c
Conductor

Postby tom c » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:50 am

they should sell her to the museum.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan instead of Colorado!

Return to “General Discussion”