Big Boy IS going to Duluth this July

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

Big Boy IS going to Duluth this July

Postby Mark D » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:48 am

From Iowa, one day at St. Paul. Arrives Duluth Friday, 7/19. On dislay Saturday, Sunday 20, 21 July.
Duluth museum will also have their little thing running.
North Shore Track Services are working on the track...

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Millhouse
Conductor

Re: Big Boy IS going to Duluth this July

Postby Millhouse » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:44 pm

I saw...somebody on Facebook claimed it was also passing through St. Paul, though he hasn't yet divulged times and dates to me.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see it in the Trains article. Need to get my eyes checked, d*mn diabetes. :(

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2019/06/04-minnesota-museum-confirms-big-boy-4014-visit-in-july?fbclid=IwAR0U5KcDd80x_yklqMHtXMYOq0ZHWDLy7xS3Sm4P4p5oMcMXcZgkS8CSdac

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Postby SOO2719 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:03 pm

Good God Almighty... I hope I have a new(ish) car by then. A Big Boy on the North Shore, land of the Yellowstone? This I have got to see.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:35 am

I seriously doubt it will be running along the North Shore. Maybe, but I think they will park it near or at the museum - former Duluth depot. It's going to be very interesting when they try to wye the thing. Probably at the same place as 261 has had to wye and always got through it without having to re-rail it most of the time.
One would think that if the big Yellowstone's could manage trackage in Duluth the Big Boy surely should be able to do the same. But a lot of that track has tighter curves than they had back in the 1940's.
What gets me is how the U.P. can operate THEIR steam locomotive without PTC and others like 261 cannot!

Mark D.

Junk_Man999
Conductor

Postby Junk_Man999 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:45 pm

Because Union Pacific has enough lawyers, money, and lobbyists to brute force their will upon the government, like most large corporations.
All Aboard!!!

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:11 pm

Or it could be the rules have not become law yet. If you will recall UP filed for a waiver to run their steam engines on their railroad without PTC and the FRA denied the waiver since the law was not in effect yet. It is their engine, their railroad, and their employees so the FRA said they could do with them as they wish. I suspect UP will file for another waiver if they continue to run steam after the law comes into effect. In the mean time a lot of people criticized the railroad for filing an unnecessary waiver petition but I see it as a smart move. Now if anything happens they have the governments permission to run without PTC in writing. I suspect a new waiver petition will be successful for the same reasons above and the fact the trains will have a proper circle of management to oversee the safe operation of the steam trains. Could this be done by other railroad using equipment from other organizations? I don't know but suspect it could at least on a case by case basis. In the mean time it is an excellent excuse to not run trains the railroad"s may not car to run anyway.

One final note. The UP may be powerful but it can not hold a candle to the power of the US government. In a contest of wills the railroad is sure to loose if the law is not on its side.

John Bohon

SOO2719
Conductor

Postby SOO2719 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:51 pm

I am excited to see the Big Boy, but I am also wary of the crowds that will be out to see 4014. What's a railfan gotta do to get a quiet spot to see the Big Boy? Sheesh.
Yes, I am not one for crowds.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:42 am

You might want to hire the Goodyear blimp and hover over it for a while. That's probably the only way to get within a mile of it.
In truth, this is Minnesota, land of people who don't even know what a train is. You shouldn't have a problem, especially if you get there during the hours when most people are at work.
But I won't be going to see it. I have more pressing things going on.
Mark D.

SOO2719
Conductor

Postby SOO2719 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:03 pm

I cannot afford to hire a blimp, but I can think of something. Heck, the 3985 did not have crowds everywhere when she visited the Cities in 2008, so why should the 4014 be any different?
I would love to first see the 4014 in Faribault, hometown of my good friend and fellow railfan John C. Luecke and a spot along the good old Rock Island Line once upon a time.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:05 am

Minneapolis and St. Paul population is made up of people who are mostly train and especially railroading itself, illiterate. They mostly won't be in line waiting to see it close up. There will be some people, as you know, but I'm pretty sure you could get up close and intimate.
Take lots of photo's no matter where you go to see it. It'll probably be your only chance. Unless you want to drive to Duluth.
Mark D.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:47 pm

If you have never seen a large simple articulated locomotive run do yourself a favor and go see the 4014. If you really want to see an interesting sight set yourself up on a curve and watch the articulation work. It is well worth the price of admission and is worth far more effort that you would imagine. I have seen 1218 run on various occasions in the late eighties and early nineties. For me the 4014 is just big. If it were to come to Memphis, 6 or 7 hours from me, I would be tempted greatly to go see it. Going half way across the country is not about to happen unless I happen to be there for another reason. If I had not seen 1218 I would very strongly consider going half way across the country to see 4014. Do yourselves a favor and be sure you get there.

John Bohon

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:57 am

I would rather make the drive to Duluth to see it than go to SPUD. And I just might make that trip.
Mark D.

SOO2719
Conductor

Postby SOO2719 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:52 pm

Union Pacific just announced the schedule:

https://www.up.com/media/releases/190613-big-boy-4014-midwest.htm?fbclid=IwAR1IbpBXYRFihoKRNaoD-pVbxIAUj2T1OzN21uzn18IYPsK_T0-unIXCfvA

Oh man, this is gonna be something! :D
I am going to intercept 4014 at Faribault and follow her into town. Anyone want to join me?
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"

SOO2719
Conductor

Postby SOO2719 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:19 pm

Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:06 pm

To me having seen 1218 run the 4014 really is just bigger. The big attraction for me in seeing these articulates is watching all the great machinery working and listening to the sounds. The front engine swinging back and forth through curves has to be seen. Then there are two sets of drivers rolling the rods around that create so much motion from one machine. The sounds of the exhausts as they go into and out of sync is like listening two a doubleheader but there is only one locomotive. For me it is hard to imagine any other machine with so many moving parts in full view making such a display of itself. Anyone who likes machinery owes it to themselves to see one of these things if they get the opportunity. If one steam engine is fascinating two under one boiler is twice as good.

I wonder if there is any chance 261 could meet 4014 while they are both in the area? That could be fun to see.

John Bohon

Return to “General Discussion”