Big Boy IS going to Duluth this July

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Fitz
Conductor

Re: Big Boy IS going to Duluth this July

Postby Fitz » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:43 pm

Steam locomotives, and particularly the articulateds, are masterpieces of engineering. I have heard people say that the steam locomotive is the closest thing to a living creature that man has created, and they certainly are, with all of the different systems which work together much like our human body systems do. No wonder we are steam fans.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:54 am

Fitz, you are 100% correct. But during my lifetime I've noticed the same thing in many types of machinery. Automatic screw machines for instance. Most people have never seen one in operation. In my automatic machining business, now gone because I decided to retire, are a case in point. And cars; not all cars, but some, regardless of year, exhibit the same.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:03 am

John Bohon wrote:To me having seen 1218 run the 4014 really is just bigger. The big attraction for me in seeing these articulates is watching all the great machinery working and listening to the sounds. The front engine swinging back and forth through curves has to be seen. Then there are two sets of drivers rolling the rods around that create so much motion from one machine. The sounds of the exhausts as they go into and out of sync is like listening two a doubleheader but there is only one locomotive. For me it is hard to imagine any other machine with so many moving parts in full view making such a display of itself. Anyone who likes machinery owes it to themselves to see one of these things if they get the opportunity. If one steam engine is fascinating two under one boiler is twice as good.

I wonder if there is any chance 261 could meet 4014 while they are both in the area? That could be fun to see.

John Bohon

No chance at all. The toil and trouble and cost just go get over there for a steam get-together just isn't worth it.
I think 261 is running a trip out west on the TC&W track, former Milwaukee Road track, sometime soon. I don't know when, but Steve asked me to tell him when I could be on the engine and when not. I just told him to put me down wherever he needs someone. That's my standard answer. I just let him decide what to do. I think I'll be going there this coming Thursday and I'll know more then. Maybe.
Mark D.

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Postby SOO2719 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:27 pm

Aw come on, Mark. What if the Big Boy passes the 261 shop on its way to Duluth? You guys would be foolish not have 261 simmering outside the shop, waiting to swap whistle salutes with the 4014.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:29 am

In my opinion only, I think we would all rather have a colonoscopy before we'd go to all the toil and trouble to get it out there on the 'second main', next to the main.
More truthfully, you have given me an idea. We might not have the engine outside somewhere - there are other tracks where we don't have to work with BNSF and it could be easily seen. But if I can make it in time that would be a great place to see the Big Boy under steam and moving and no crowds.
Thanks for the tip. You should make it over there to get some good photo's.
Problem is, when would they be going by? Sometime before sunrise? Or sometime after dark? Or several hours off their claimed schedule because BNSF movements come before a guest train out on a lark to show off the Union Pacific on BNSF property.

Mark D.

SOO2719
Conductor

Postby SOO2719 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:39 pm

Hey Mark,

On July 19, Union Pacific says 40104 will depart SPUD at 8:30 A.M. If they take the old Great Northern, that means the Big Boy will pass the 261 shop around 9 A.M. If they take the old Northern Pacific, though, they will bypass the shop. Does that make sense?
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:02 am

Yep, it makes lots of sense. Unfortunately non revenue trains interloping on someone else's rails gets to go when the dispatcher says they can go. I've seen that all too often with trips on the 261. Sometimes you go right away, other times you might wait several hours and other times somewhere in between. But being the Union Pacific Railroad they might get better treatment than the Sandberg Special.
But I'm not going to hold my breath.
Mark D.

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:38 am

I plan to be out at the station in St. Paul on the Thursday that it will be displayed there. Can anyone recommend where to park? Although it will be a weekday I'll be operating under the assumption that a bigger-than-normal crowd will be out there that day.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:34 am

Where to park? No clue. Although I've been there at Christmas time probably five times now, we got special cards to park up behind the Santa village.
There is a lot of parking down just off the main drag, East Kellogg Blvd. You go in, take a ticket, park your car and give the ticket to either the machine or a ticket taker depending on whatever.
I've never seen all three lots filled. But that was winter. Oh how I hate going down there!!!

Mark D.

SOO2719
Conductor

Postby SOO2719 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:55 pm

I just checked U.P.s locomotive tracker for the BIg Boy, and you can trace 4014's projected route on it too. When Ed D. and company take her from St. Paul to Duluth, she is routed right by the 261 shop! She will also chug through East Minneapolis Yard, a place I once fondly watched the Chicago and North Western at. I just might have to skip the shop in favor of the pedestrian bridge at Van Cleve Park, where I once watched North Western geeps switch the yard.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:03 am

I've been wondering about that too. Somewhere else on this forum someone said it is definitely going past the 261 shop on the way to Duluth, which could imply that it will also go past the 261 shop on the way back too.
If so, it could be done. However, rolling the 261 outside would be a big process because of all the passenger cars that are fouling the tracks inside and out. So I think 261 will stay snug in the barn.
Mark D.

tom c
Conductor

Postby tom c » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:56 pm

I hoped to get her crossing the Grassy Pt draw bridge form a boat but we got rained out. She had trouble in Superior with the tight turning radius off the coal main to the Grassy main so was delayed about an hour. I finally caught up with her at Rices Pt. She cut away from the train and ran light to the museum. The place was full of viewers.

Tom C.
Attachments
DSCN2343.jpg
DSCN2350.jpg
DSCN2353.jpg
tom_at_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan instead of Colorado!

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:17 am

I doubt anyone rolled the 261 out of the shop to say hi to the 4014. The U.P. crew did go right past the 261 shop, but in any case there are so many coaches in the yard that the 261 can't get past that it would be doubtful that the Union Pacific crew would be able to see the 261. If they wanted to, they could pull off the main, stop in and say hi. But I doubt that would have happened too.

Tom, where was that bottom photo taken? Just curious.
Mark D.

Junk_Man999
Conductor

Postby Junk_Man999 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:49 am

Just saw this on Facebook. Wow, what a shot!
All Aboard!!!

Al_Seever
Conductor

Postby Al_Seever » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:24 pm

"Wow!" and "Yikes!" Thanks for sharing.

Al Seever
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Return to “General Discussion”