Railway proposes shipping 500 million gallons of Minnesota water a year to the Southwest

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Re: Railway proposes shipping 500 million gallons of Minnesota water a year to the Southwest

Postby SOO2719 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:20 am

I know that water would come from wells, but given the excess moisture we have gotten this year, shipping water to parched climes might not be such a bad idea.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

Mark D
Conductor

Re: Railway proposes shipping 500 million gallons of Minnesota water a year to the Southwest

Postby Mark D » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:10 pm

I can't read the article, the Red Star has blocked it until I give away my email address. I'm not going to do that and wind up having to delete eleventeen or more stupid email posts. So, my thoughts might not be true to what the idea in the article are.

Why take it from the aquifer when it can be so easily pumped from lakes and / or rivers? I have no qualms about sharing our over abundance of water, I'd like to get rid of some that's still hanging around here from all the rain we had this past summer and fall, but it's slowly finding its way to the Crow river and soon will be in the Mississippi river. Seems to me the best way to ship water would be to just let it flow on rivers that head that direction and when it gets as close to the desired destination THEN you start pumping it the rest of the way.
Or, put it in tank cars and run it there by train. BNSF most likely.
But we're already taking a lot of water out of the aquifer for our own uses. it has been dropping for decades. The amount of water that would be useful to the southwest area of the country would decimate the aquifer and leave our larger cities dry in the future.

Just my own thoughts.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:30 pm

There federal and state laws and treaties (with Canada) about water usage and how much can be taken from or diverted from the lakes. There is also a concern with pollution control and biological contamination that could occur transporting just ground water without treatment of some sort.
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:01 pm

That's so way like governments!!! Don't they realize that all the main rivers in Minnesota, and also most other states, run their water to other parts of the country already, courtesy of gravity and mother nature? Does the Mississippi River stop at the MN border? The Red River?
And the rivers get their water from either lakes, marshes, rain water directly, or from neighboring states where smaller rivers begin. Do they test the water before it can enter or leave the state? To me it's just plain silly.
And we have Waaayy too much water here. I'm not complaining, it would be a lot worse if we were like New Mexico or Arizona. They seem to find water, but there's a lot of just nothing but sand too.
Mark D.

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:10 am

Water flowing down a river is natural, but transporting it from one aquafer to another is different.

Remember the reversal of the Chicago River by building a canal to the Mississippi river? Now there is an electrified net across the river to keep a fish indigenes to the Mississippi from reaching Lake Michigan. Then there is Zebra Muscle that was accidently introduced into Lake Erie, and it has decimated the Muscle farming industry since the Zebra Muscle is not a food for humans and has no natural predators in the Great Lakes, so it is taking over the lakes, squeezing out the native ones. There are dozens of "Hey, lets import a few "xxxxxx" from "yyyyy"" instances (Starlings into the U.S. for sport hunting, Cane toad imported to Australia, etc.) where harm was done to the environment and indigenous species.

Granted, they are talking about just water in this instance, but no mention of purifying it so that any life forms in the water don't get transplanted to an area that has no natural predators for what is being imported. Same for Viruses that are new to an area and the native plants and animals have no immunity to them. Then there are minerals that might be present that could damage crops in the importing areas.

I am NOT crying, "Oh this is terrible!", I am saying that some research needs to be done to prove it is not going to be terrible. Unfortunately, I doubt if the people due to make money off this venture will do that research, so the only thing left to provide any sort of safeguard investigation is, unfortunately, the government (EPA).
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:23 am

Taking water from the aquifer's will eventually reduce the level and eventually we Minnesotans would be in the same boat as those in the southwest. How would we get clean and clear water to fill the 261's tenders? (That assuming we find a way to operate somewhere)
Cities all along rivers routinely take the water from the river, sanitize it and put it into all the houses. That's done in Minneapolis and other cities all along the Mississippi river. So, those in the southwest are too good for river water? Let them drink sand, I say!
Along lake Superior towns and cities take the water right out of the lake, run it through filters and into the municipal water works system to all houses and businesses. But they can't drink lake or river water in the southwest?

Mark D.

tom c
Conductor

Postby tom c » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:00 am

I guess you forgot about the Colorado River! Colorado must limit its use so downstream can get their share. Out west, they have water rights and fought over it in the old days.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan instead of Colorado!

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:41 pm

I've read all about the water issues in the 1800's and forward, but I guess, even though I don't like the idea at all of shipping our water down to a place where, maybe the people who live there should just move to where there is water, when we too could wind up in a drought and need that water for ourselves. ESPECIALLY where people get their water from the aquifer.
Only our stupid governor would be dumb enough to send our precious water down there where they have all sorts of spas and water parks for tourists and visitors. (Phoenix, for instance)

Mark D.

Return to “General Discussion”