First Picture o f 2020

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

BurlingtonJohn
Conductor

First Picture o f 2020

Postby BurlingtonJohn » Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:00 pm

West Quincy Missouri, 1 Jan 20. Finding power in BN or Santa Fe colors is becoming increasingly rare around here ....

Regards,
Burlington John
Attachments
BNSF 2740.jpg

Fitz
Conductor

Re: First Picture o f 2020

Postby Fitz » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:59 pm

You are just having too much fun, John.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:13 am

It would be nice to know something about that engine that made you take a photo of it. Even just where it was taken.
And I see another locomotive in the background. Obviously these engines are sitting and waiting for work somewhere. But it could be anywhere.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

tom c
Conductor

Postby tom c » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:53 am

Mark, right above the pic it has location

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan instead of Colorado!

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:47 am

Mark, It really doesn't matter where it was taken... it is just a plain ol' ordinary Dismal. Who cares about them thingys?
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:12 pm

How long has it been since these two roads merged? I thought it was long enough ago that the only place you would see a locomotive in original paint would be a museum or possibly a patched job on a shortline or industrial switching operation. Originally I did not look closely at the photo and assumed it was taken in a museum.

John Bohon

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Postby SOO2719 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:26 pm

The locomotive is a GP39-2 in a classic GP30 body. I love steam as much as any railfan, but I always have time for diesels, especially old ones, or ones that retain their classic shape, like this baby.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

BurlingtonJohn
Conductor

Re: First Picture of 2020

Postby BurlingtonJohn » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:10 am

Mark D wrote:It would be nice to know something about that engine that made you take a photo of it. Even just where it was taken.
And I see another locomotive in the background. Obviously these engines are sitting and waiting for work somewhere. But it could be anywhere.
Mark D.

It is still in the basic Burlington Northern green/black scheme 23 years after the merger that created the BNSF railway. That is kind of an unusual thing. For example, the Burlington Northern was created on 2 Mar 70. In less than 7 years, every locomotive from the predecessor roads had been repainted. Every one.

It is sitting on what used to be the lead to the West Quincy Missouri engine shops where locomotives used to be refueld, sanded and light maintenance was done, if needed. Since it is evident that it is equipped with PTC gear, it most likely will be serving in local service out of West Quincy; south to St Louis, east to Galesburg, north to Burlington (Iowa) or west to Brookfield Missouri. Where it goes next is anybody's guess.

These days, any locomotive in BN green/black, BN green/cream, Santa Fe blue/yellow or Santa Fe warbonnet is a must-photo engine since we don't know how much longer they will be around. I made that error back in the seventies, I am determined not to repeat it!

Regards,
Burlington John

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:30 am

Thanks for the information John. I still occasionally see green BNSF engines around Minneapolis. The old name is always covered, and it shows it's covered, with the BNSF logo showing well. Mostly when I see them is when I'm at the 261 shop which is owned by BNSF and leased to the 261. I don't know if you have been there, but if not it is situated in the middle of a diamond with extra tracks added just for good measure, or something like that. It's a great place for a steam locomotive and its consist because of all those other tracks. That's where I usually (but not often) see a green engine.
The other place used to be at the grain elevator at Litchfield, MN. They had an old GP for shoving grain cars. More recently it disappeared and I don't know where it went.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Postby SOO2719 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:33 am

That green engine, an ex-BN SD7, is now owned by the Minnesota Transportation Museum.
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

Return to “General Discussion”