More Steam on You Tube

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

More Steam on You Tube

Postby Mark D » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:30 am

A new (to me anyway) link to some great steam. If it's been posted here already, shame on me. It was sent to me by a 261 crew member who also used to be on this forum, but has left since the phpbb forums seem to be going the way of the dodo bird.

There is footage of one of the Twin Zephyrs being pulled by one of the EMC boxcabs.

Incredible unsafe action of switchmen running around puzzle switches outside what appears to be St. Paul Union Station just ahead of locomotive and train moves.

A cab ride in one the 1936 shovelnoses on the Twin Zephyrs running south out of the Twin Cities along the Mississippi River north of LaCrosse. Several freights are passed.

Some brief footage of Aeolus pulling one of the 1936 Twin Zephyr sets.

There is also film of one of the Rock Island TAs in full Rocket dress pulling out it's train from the Minneapolis Milwaukee Depot.

The last of the footage is from the 1948 or 1949 Railroad Fair in Chicago.

The video starts in black and white, but changes to color a few minutes in.

Also FEC, SR, ACL, SAL, DM&IR, SP, UP and others. If you like steam and early diesels you will enjoy this. Quite a bit of C&NW, Omaha Rd and Milwaukee Rd steam and diesel. And a trip to Hudson, WI, with C&NW 4-4-0 136 and a wooden four car "re-enactment" train.

Certainly some rare footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7ib3FQeL0s

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Re: More Steam on You Tube

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:13 pm

In the world of model trains, it is often said there is prototype for everything. I would scoff at that, asking where it the prototype for the Lionel pink train made for girls? Oops.. I stand corrected... see 00:23:35 of the video. Daing, looks just like the Lionel "girls" train.
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:42 pm

And here is another link that seems to provide some good looking at vintage railroading in the upper Midwest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7ib3FQeL0s

I haven't tested the link. I don't have the time right now, but it came from a reliable source, who used to be a contributor in this Chaski Railfan

Mark D.

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:26 am

That is the same link as you posted before... :?

Still, worth viewing again! (But I have to kill the sound... that "music" is more "MOO SICK!" Bleah!
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:13 am

Sorry about that. I received a new post from the same person who sent it as another link. It was late last night when it came in, I just shot it out on Chaski and left it at that.

Mark D.

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:41 am

Good stuff, Mark.

I have a question for anyone that might know - got any idea what the road number on that Southern 4-6-0 is? (the one moving pretty fast, in green livery, in the color footage close to the end, about 20-21 mins in)

I have a habit of looking up end-of-steam era locos I'm unfamiliar with to see 'where are they now?' I don't think it exists anymore.

Return to “General Discussion”