Santa Fe 2926 First Move Under Own Power

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Santa Fe 2926 First Move Under Own Power

Postby SOO2719 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:53 am

Last weekend Santa Fe 4-8-4 2926 moved under its own power for the first time in 68 years following a 22-year restoration effort (article is free to read):

https://railfan.com/santa-fe-2926-moves-under-steam-for-first-time-in-68-years/

Photo from the article:

Viva Santa Fe steam! :-)
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

bobnsteam
Conductor

Re: Santa Fe 2926 First Move Under Own Power

Postby bobnsteam » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:22 pm

Tony,
Not being familiar with this locomotive what type is it and where located?
Thanks.
Bob

tom c
Conductor

Postby tom c » Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:56 pm

bobnsteam wrote:Tony,
Not being familiar with this locomotive what type is it and where located?
Thanks.
Bob

Bob, it is listed by Tony in the first line. Did u just look at pic and then reply?

Tom C.

PS Albuquerque
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!

bobnsteam
Conductor

Postby bobnsteam » Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:29 pm

HI Tom,
Ach so! Thanks!
Bob

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:17 pm

This group is not getting anywhere near the credit they deserve. To take on the restoration of a huge 4-8-4 is one thing. To keep the organization and volunteers motivated and going for more than 20 years to the completion is nothing short of fantastic. After the boiler is stripped and the progress is so slow it seems you can work all day and not accomplish anything it is very hard to keep people motivated. In this case that nothing seems to be happening time lasted for years. I have been following this effort from afar since I got on the internet about 20 years ago. As I recall they started on the tender to gain knowledge and experience and moved on to the locomotive when the tender was finished. It is not easy to keep volunteers coming back and moving forward job by job for 20 years when noting is operating and it will not be for a long time. I can only wonder how many of the original people are still alive much less still involved with the locomotive. I was never concerned with them finding a place to run. If they could think far enough ahead to complete a restoration like this they can find track to run on.

The locomotive itself is magnificent. It is certainly one of the best 4-8-4s ever built. With roller bearings on everything and all the modern bells and whistles it will be a great runner. It can take a big train and run as fast as you dare to go with it. I am sure they will get help from other mainline steam operators in crew training and maintaining a locomotive in mainline service. This is going to be fun to watch and hopefully someday I may get to see 2926 run.

Even if they never find a place to run 2926 they have still made a great improvement in its future. For the next 15 years it will be in operable condition so I am sure it will be cared for that long. After that even if it goes back on outdoor display they have added 50 years to the life of the engine outdoors. Hopefully that will not happen but I point it out just to show that regardless of the outcome this group of volunteers have added greatly to the future of the engine. There just is noting bad about that.

Congratulations to everyone who has worked on or donated to 2926. You have done a great job.

John Bohon

tom c
Conductor

Postby tom c » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:44 am

John, great post. The boys in Alaska are doing a good job of keeping moving fwd on their engine. I am sure there are other groups out there. I hope to visit 2926 in a couple of weeks when I am in town for the Sn3 symposium.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:32 am

tom c wrote:John, great post. The boys in Alaska are doing a good job of keeping moving fwd on their engine. I am sure there are other groups out there. I hope to visit 2926 in a couple of weeks when I am in town for the Sn3 symposium.

Tom C.

"Alaska"? :?:
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:43 pm

The Alaska 557 is another great example of keeping a project rolling. When they bought the engine the expert inspecting it was saying it was like a brand new engine, hardly run at all. In point of fact the 557 turned out to be a rolling junk yard. Instead of getting a nearly new engine they got one that was over due for heavy repair. To the group's credit they did not fold but set about to do the needed overhaul. They found a building to put the engine in and got it there even though there is no track in the building. Considering this is an ex Army 2-8-0 that was a good start. They proceeded to tear the engine down to the frame and boiler shell and are in the process of putting it back together. Nothing on the locomotive or tender has gone untouched. A contractor has helped them with the most challenging boiler work but only on an occasional basis. As they are nearing the end of the project I think they must be something like 10 years into the rebuild. In the photo up dates there work looks great. This is another group that has managed to keep going even though nothing has been running and there was not hope of it running in the near future. It takes dedicated and determined people to continue slogging through a project like this. Both of these groups have my respect and admiration.

These two groups are outstanding examples of what can be done. They take on every challenge. Though not as long in terms of years there are others performing near miracles with steam engines. The 4449, and 700 people in Oregon either have or are doing 1472 overhauls with volunteers and very little money in today's terms. So are the people doing the next 1472 on 3751 in California. I assume the same was true for the 261 several years ago. These groups are doing great jobs of keeping their engines running. That will soon be the challenge for both the 2926 and 557. Keeping them running is a different ballgame from the initial overhaul and they are going to have to adapt. I am convinced both will do well.

John Bohon

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:43 pm

John Bohon wrote:This group is not getting anywhere near the credit they deserve. To take on the restoration of a huge 4-8-4 is one thing. To keep the organization and volunteers motivated and going for more than 20 years to the completion is nothing short of fantastic. After the boiler is stripped and the progress is so slow it seems you can work all day and not accomplish anything it is very hard to keep people motivated. In this case that nothing seems to be happening time lasted for years. I have been following this effort from afar since I got on the internet about 20 years ago. As I recall they started on the tender to gain knowledge and experience and moved on to the locomotive when the tender was finished. It is not easy to keep volunteers coming back and moving forward job by job for 20 years when noting is operating and it will not be for a long time. I can only wonder how many of the original people are still alive much less still involved with the locomotive. I was never concerned with them finding a place to run. If they could think far enough ahead to complete a restoration like this they can find track to run on.

The locomotive itself is magnificent. It is certainly one of the best 4-8-4s ever built. With roller bearings on everything and all the modern bells and whistles it will be a great runner. It can take a big train and run as fast as you dare to go with it. I am sure they will get help from other mainline steam operators in crew training and maintaining a locomotive in mainline service. This is going to be fun to watch and hopefully someday I may get to see 2926 run.

Even if they never find a place to run 2926 they have still made a great improvement in its future. For the next 15 years it will be in operable condition so I am sure it will be cared for that long. After that even if it goes back on outdoor display they have added 50 years to the life of the engine outdoors. Hopefully that will not happen but I point it out just to show that regardless of the outcome this group of volunteers have added greatly to the future of the engine. There just is noting bad about that.

Congratulations to everyone who has worked on or donated to 2926. You have done a great job.

John Bohon

Agreed, John. I've basically been watching them as long as I've been a railfan online, the entire 20 years they've been at it. I remember originally in the late 90s there were two projects to restore both the 2912 in Pueblo and the 2926. Like you said, who knew it would take 20 years, and more importantly, who knew they would see it through to the end! Even the Wheels Museum isn't that talked about anymore. Talk about stubbornly staying the course. Now where will she run...

Return to “General Discussion”