WOW this forum died, where did every body go?

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Leonard S.
Conductor

WOW this forum died, where did every body go?

Postby Leonard S. » Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:25 pm

With all the railroad events going on in the US this year you might think someone would be talking about it. Come on people this was one of the best forums for railroad information.

Leonard S.
I have been a member of this forum since 1998.

Mark D
Conductor

Re: WOW this forum died, where did every body go?

Postby Mark D » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:20 am

Well, Len, you can see by looking at the number of views on various topics that people are coming in here.
But most people don't post things unless they have something they feel others would be interested in.
Most people don't post something just to "hear" themselves talk. Or, should I say, just to see themselves in print.
Be patient, and something useful will come up. Meanwhile, also check out other forums. You'll find good reading in other forums too.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Leonard S.
Conductor

Postby Leonard S. » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:25 am

Mark ,
I do check out other railfan forums , and there nothing to much going on in then eirther.

Have you found out when the WMS event kicks off yet, on the 17,18th.
what the start time and end time is?

Len.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:34 am

Well, then, that you have read other forums and they're dead too might be a clue that not a lot is going on in the whole community just now.
Traffic in these sites tends to ebb and flow. It has its ups and downs. There's no need, really, to start typing keyboards just to start something when nothing is needed.
I have not bothered to find out anything about the WMSR event because I won't be going there anyway. I posted what I knew so that anyone interested could track it down and go if they can. I'm sure you know how to find their website, so you can easily find the rest of the information now.
If you can make it, you should. I'm sure it's going to be pretty good.

Strasburg_fan
Railroader

Postby Strasburg_fan » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:50 am

Also probably because summer just ended, and all the kids are getting used to going back to school and the adults are getting used to going back to work. I'm sure things will pick up in a while, with the coming of the fall color season. As for me, I won't be railfanning again till October 9...
Strasburg Railroad: The Road to Paradise

Leonard S.
Conductor

Postby Leonard S. » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:53 am

What is going on Oct. 9th.

Len.

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:26 pm

You asked where every body went? Probably out to Monocacy Quarry, waiting for you :)

tim o'm
Conductor

Postby tim o'm » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:09 pm

September is usually a quiet time, especially for those occasional rail operations. I personally love September, because the visitors who go to an educational area like a museum actually WANT to be there. They aren't dragged to it by an over-anxious spouse, or precocious kid. They are typically more relaxed and ask more questions.
I'm not saying that other times of the year you don't get this type of visitor, but there are so many different audiences in the summer, that you can't lump them together. The other times of the year, people are just in a hurry no matter what they are doing.
Do those of you at a tourist RR see this trend too?

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:19 pm

Steaminfo wrote:You asked where every body went? Probably out to Monocacy Quarry, waiting for you :)

Heh heh, good one steaminfo! I got a good chuckle out of that one.

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:36 pm

Let's see, October 9th. Well, the Steam Railroading Institute is running pumpkin trains with the 1225, and Railfan and Railroad mag and Trains mag is full of notices for other events going on. I would guess something's happening at Strasburg, given the author's name as Strasburg fan. :lol:

Strasburg_fan
Railroader

Postby Strasburg_fan » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:42 pm

LOL :) No, just a normal trip to the Middletown & Hummelstown to see what's going on and take some photos (and ride). I go down there every Columbus Day weekend. Then on Columbus Day we go to Strasburg, so it's a nice little weekend of railfanning. :wink: I just learned I MAY be going up to WK&S tomorrow unexpectedly to see some diesel (for the first time!), so we'll see what becomes of that.

-Christian S.

Wowak
Conductor

Postby Wowak » Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:21 pm

This question gets asked every year.. the forum is ALWAYS slower in the off-season. Lots of operations have their equipment tucked away for the winter, and out of site out of mind, they're worrying about their other interests.
-Former Moderator

Strasburg_fan
Railroader

Postby Strasburg_fan » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:08 pm

Most tourist railroads haven't shut down for the winter just yet, Mr. Wowak. Many operations don't pack up until early October, at the earliest. :wink:

Dave Lewandoski
Railroader

Postby Dave Lewandoski » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:40 pm

Wowak wrote:This question gets asked every year.. the forum is ALWAYS slower in the off-season. Lots of operations have their equipment tucked away for the winter, and out of site out of mind, they're worrying about their other interests.

agreed, but it has been noticably quiter since the "National Enquier" type posts aren't permeted any more.
Dave

Hogger1225
Railfan

Postby Hogger1225 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:32 am

SRI is not running pumpkin trains this tear with 1225 or 75. In fact, check out Michigan Railroads.com, under Lower, and you might see something you don't like.

Return to “General Discussion”