From a World Far Far Away, And Another Hemisphere...

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

From a World Far Far Away, And Another Hemisphere...

Postby Mark D » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:51 pm

Indonesia, actually. Imagine an Amtrak train with a few dozen people gripping the roofs of the cars and hanging from grab irons along the sides of the cars as it whips along at 79 mph.
I'm betting the Indonesian trains are running a bit slower, but according to the article, they lose enough people who do that to, in someone's mind anyway, justify doing this. The goop is used if the concrete balls hanging from chains overhead don't knock them off the train first, as mentioned in the full article. I really haven't decided what to make of this. I don't think I'd handle it this way, but then I don't live there, either.
Mark D.

RAILROAD Indonesia to hit train roof riders with nasty goop
LINK TO FULL ARTICLE - http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/02/06 ... latestnews
Published February 06, 2012
Print Email Share Comments Recommend Tweet
AP2004
Nov. 12, 2004: Indonesian men hold on to the rooftop and outside of a train bound for Banten province. Indonesia has gone to imaginative extremes to try to stop commuters from riding the roofs of trains by suspending rows of grapefruit-sized concrete balls above railway lines a few inches above the tops of carriages at points where trains enter or pull out of stations, or where they go through crossings.
JAKARTA, Indonesia -- Indonesia has another bizarre way to keep commuters off the roofs of trains: swat them with brooms drenched in putrid goop.

"For anyone who is still up there, it'll be like a whip," said Ahmad Sujadi, of the state-run railway, PT Kereta Api Indonesia. The contraptions will be installed at select crossings this week.

Indonesia has tried just about everything to keep passengers from clamoring atop trains that crisscross its main island of Java: spraying them with paint guns, calling in sniffer dogs, and asking for help from..........
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Return to “General Discussion”