Need some location help

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

alco636
Conductor

Need some location help

Postby alco636 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:03 pm

I am getting through photos from 2007. I'll eventually post these at the rrpicturesarchive.net site. I found these from September 15th, 2007. Doubleheading the 2816 and 261 down to La Crosse and back. Where were these shots taken? Is there a small town nearby? Or can somebody share a milepost? Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Both shots were taken but seconds apart IIRC. I left these as large files, so anyone on the crew can download and print them if you'd like to.

Al Seever
Flagstaff, AZ
Attachments
9-15-2007_01.jpg
The 2816 and 261 rolling down CP's mainline along the Mississippi River on September 15th, 2007.
9-15-2007_02.jpg
The 2816 and 261 rolling down CP's mainline along the Mississippi River on September 15th, 2007.
I don't know everyone, but everyone seems to know me...

Mark D
Conductor

Re: Need some location help

Postby Mark D » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:30 am

Al, there just isn't enough information in the photo's for me to be able to identify anything at all. But the look of it makes me think it's on the east side of the river. I recall we went south on the east side, BNSF, and went back north on the west side, CP. This looks more like the east side, maybe in the area south of Fountain City, or around Trempealeau. Or maybe not. Hope Brent or Ed chime in on this one.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

alco636
Conductor

Postby alco636 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:59 pm

Thanks Mark. I should have added the image was shot in MN, on the CP, along Highway 61. Well south of Red Wing, MN. The train was rolling eastbound at the time.

Al Seever
Flagstaff, AZ

Brent A
Conductor

Postby Brent A » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:35 pm

We stayed on the CP all day. We did pull into the LaCrosse depot and stopped for a while. The passengers got off the train to have lunch while we serviced and watered. I can't really tell exactly where the pictures were taken, but the first one makes me think just East of Red Wing, nearing the top of the hill.
I'll study a little bit more and see if I can come up with anything else.
It's like the same thing, only different. (Tommy Chong)

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:37 am

I thought we made a circle tour? South on the BNSF and back north on the CP? Am I dreaming? I swear I recall doing that.
Mark D.

Robert T
Conductor

Postby Robert T » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:25 pm

Mark, you're right. We did a circle trip on July 2nd, 2004, the day before the Grand Excursion trip.
Robert T.

alco636
Conductor

Postby alco636 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:51 pm

Mark, IIRC, on this day the 2816 and 261 went as far as La Crosse. The next day, if my memory serves me correctly, the 261 ran solo down the CP, then up the BNSF.

I just bought some new editing software. Here is a shot from the day before, 9.14.2007.

Al Seever
Flagstaff, AZ
Attachments
Picture 001b.jpg

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:10 am

Al, that is a calendar picture if i ever saw one.
What sort of photo editing software did you buy? Photo Shop? I've been wanting to get Photo Shop, but it's $$. I guess if it was nearer the top of my list, I'd have it, but other thing have been more important. One of these days...
Mark D.

Junk_Man999
Conductor

Postby Junk_Man999 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:26 pm

Hey Mark! If you want a decent program that you can use to touch-up photos, and at least do basic image editing for free, I know of one you could use. Its a program named after the website its hosted on: paint.net I highly recommend it! By the way, nice photos.
All Aboard!!!

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:00 am

Thanks, Junkman. I'll take a look at it. I do have Microsoft Picture Manager, which is great for resizing, brightening, color saturation, etc. I'd like to find something where I can remove or add stuff to a photo. In my former computer, I had a program that could sharpen a fuzzy image, to some extent, along with those things that the Picture Manager does now. But that died along with the old computer.
Mark D.

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:30 am

Mark; You might also try "GIMP"... it is free, one of the spate of cooperative programming efforts like Open Office.

http://www.gimp.org/

It is a VERY large program and may take a while on dialup to download. it also take a while to load once you have it. But being written by multiple programmers, it has about every conceivable feature that can be in a photo editor.

When I downloaded it I had a hard time finding just the executable code and not download the entire source code to the program so I could alter it to my heart's content... I think the download button on the above site will get you "just" the program.

You will have a learning curve to go through to use the program effectively.
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

alco636
Conductor

Postby alco636 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:51 pm

Mark, I'm using ACDSee. http://www.acdsee.com/en/index I've used it for many years, and am very happy with it. I had version 8. Now at 14! I needed the new version. Good stuff. Spent about $60.00 on it.

alco636
Conductor

Postby alco636 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:04 am

Here are some edits. I've never tried gimp. But I have heard good things about it.
Attachments
9-23-2007_03a.jpg
Picture 010.jpg
Picture 012.jpg

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:30 pm

What in the devil happened to those covered hoppers? I have seen my share of wrecks but that is a new one.

John Bohon

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:48 am

Is THAT what they are? I wanted to ask about those things, but couldn't tell what they used to be.
Mark D.

Return to “General Discussion”