Milw. 261 Gets Out For An Airing

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

Milw. 261 Gets Out For An Airing

Postby Mark D » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:09 pm

Finally, after four long years the old beast is about to do what it does best once again.
Out today, 4/13/13 switching a few cars and then made some low speed chugs up and down the pocket track next to the shop building.
Night, April 12 and day April 13.
Mark D.
Attachments
261 FirstTimeOutIn4YearsApril12 13 2013 005.jpg
261 FirstTimeOutIn4YearsApril12 13 2013 005.jpg (37.4 KiB) Viewed 2496 times
261 FirstTimeOutIn4YearsApril12 13 2013 065.jpg
261 FirstTimeOutIn4YearsApril12 13 2013 065.jpg (38.31 KiB) Viewed 2496 times
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

tom c
Conductor

Re: Milw. 261 Gets Out For An Airing

Postby tom c » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:44 pm

Thanks, Nice to see her with smoke coming out the stack! The Duluth trip is coming.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan instead of Colorado!

BurlingtonJohn
Conductor

Postby BurlingtonJohn » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:17 am

GREAT shots Mark, one of these days ....

I'll be riding "Super Dome" on Tuesday from Princeton to Quincy Illinois. Riding a dome (even though it isn't vintage Burlington) on Q rails .... priceless!

Regards,
Burlington John

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:56 am

So, John, you're one of THOSE lucky people, eh? Tell us what you think of the pork loin dinner. I think that's what you're going to get. There are some great chef's on board. That Superdome is something. Pretty nice up there with all the world laid out before your eyes.
Mark D.

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:02 pm

Mark, Joey and George? Great chefs they are. Kept us alive on the 4449 trip to Minneapolis.

BurlingtonJohn
Conductor

Postby BurlingtonJohn » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:57 pm

My shot of Super Dome in West Quincy Missouri last year ... awesome car! I'm helping with the charter, so I don't know if I'll be lucky enough to partake of the pork loin dinner, as I'm not riding the return trip. Maybe I can talk Don into a sample?

Regards,
Burlington John
Attachments
Super Dome (55).jpg

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:51 pm

Hi John I didn't know you were working on the trip. Sorry. You might want to try to get something out of that dinner. Maybe if they have some left at the end... I know I'd try it if I were there.
That car, and the Skytop impress me every time I look at them. Neither of them are 'just another' passenger car.
I think this should be the most fun a person can have when he's working, eh?
Mark D.

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Postby SOO2719 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:15 pm

Hey, she is steaming in the snow for the first time since 1996 in the second photo! :D Anybody here remember when she was at Steamtown the winter of 1995-96?
Also, will she will be steaming this Saturday?
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:45 pm

Well, I remember seeing it on a Goodheard video, does that count? I wasn't there.
Fitz might remember it. He was at Steamtown when 261 was there, but he might have been there only during the grand opening, which came a couple years earlier, I think.
In any case, I think there's more snow on the ground in the above photo than there was back in '96. They had to shovel snow onto the pilot for photo's. I haven't watched that video in many years, so I forget a bit, but I don't recall seeing much snow on the ground in that video either. You're in Pennsylvania, and they don't typically get a lot of snow, and then it was a warm winter to top it off.
That snow in the photo, though, is nothing at all compared to what I had to drive home from there last Friday morning around 1:30. I was the only car on the highway. Nobody else was dumb enough to be out driving in that crap.
20 to 30' visibility from heavy snow falling, wipers clogging because it was wet, gummy, snow. It froze to the headlights, blocking the light and diffused what little did get through so i couldn't see anything. I had to stop several times to clear the wipers and headlights. No plows had been through, the only way I could know where I was on the road was by gauging distance from an occasional road sign as it flashed past.
I've seen worse, but not for many years. And that was in January and February, not April! It's s'posed to be spring, isn't it? The calender says it is anyway. And by the way, it's about a 70 mile drive. About 40 of it was nasty. The other part, near the Cities was fine driving. I hope it goes a bit better this week when I have to do about the same thing all over again. It's supposed to snow again.
Mark D.

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Postby SOO2719 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:32 pm

Yup, that counts, Mark. First I saw of the 261 out in PA in 1996 was via Railfan & Railroad magazine. Eons later I watched several jim dandy youtube videos of the 261 out there.
Alas, we are under another blanket-blank winter storm warning from Thursday until Friday! :x Wonder if the local railroads are going to get the plows out?
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:13 pm

I didn't witness 261 running in the winter back at Steamtown, Mark, but I have a copy of Goodheart's winter adventures video. Nothing like steam in winter.

steaminfo
Railroader

Postby steaminfo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:18 pm

I was out at Steamtown then, photographed 2317, 3254 and 261 with Jim Boyd, and Tom SomethingorOther the editor of Railpace. Fell off a wall and broke three ribs, but the camera was fine!

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:18 am

As long as the camera was fine! Ribs will heal.
Any photo's you think you would like to share?

261 was out today for a better bit of an airing. It went from Mpls. Jct. to Glenco, home of the TC&W Ry.
And back!
Back was truly back, because the steam engine was run around the train and pulled the train back in reverse, since there was no way to turn the engine anywhere in the area.
Everything was fine. I'm amazed that there weren't any squawk's about this or that. I guess the crew did their jobs well.
Duluth is three weeks away.

Mark D.

railbreaker
Railfan

Postby railbreaker » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Mark,

Did the front headlight get swapped out for this weekend? I noticed on some photos that had been posted today that there was not a visor on the headlight. Were these just older pictures?

Ed Ripp

Brent A
Conductor

Postby Brent A » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:36 pm

Ed,
There was a group of photographers that asked for the visor to be removed.
I believe a donation to the organization made that happen.

Brent
It's like the same thing, only different. (Tommy Chong)

Return to “General Discussion”