11 Years Ago, Doubleheader

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Fitz
Conductor

11 Years Ago, Doubleheader

Postby Fitz » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:53 pm

I have been going through some old slides, and found these today. Mark, you are the one who alerted me to the possibility of a doubleheader with CP 2816 and Milw 261 back in 2004. When it was announced, I made a trip back there, met you, and all the other volunteers working 261, so many that I don't even want to attempt to name all of them, but some, Brent, Swanny, Don C, Ed S and more. Because I had purchased a ticket and was riding, I couldn't get any shots of the train leaving SPUD. Somehow or other, Jim Wrinn and I made a connection, and Jim sent me these slides from his coverage, for Trains Mag--but then, was he even the editor then? The first time I scanned them they came out very dark, but this time on the Canon 9000 they look pretty good. Again, these originals belong to Jim Wrinn, but they brought back great memories of the July 4th weekend in 2004.
Attachments
04DHminn2.jpg
Closer shot, Jim Wrinn pic
04DHminn1.jpg
2816 and 261 leaving SPUD, July 2004, Jim Wrinn pic

alco636
Conductor

Re: 11 Years Ago, Doubleheader

Postby alco636 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:22 pm

Sweet photos, thanks for sharing!

Al Seever
Minneapolis, MN
I don't know everyone, but everyone seems to know me...

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:30 pm

I wonder how he got up that high for such a great photo. There are times when I wish I still had an airplane. That was sold about the year after I joined up with the 261 group and I never really had a chance to chase via airplane. I could have gotten some great video's and stills.
One thing I did get done was to fly over my parents place in northern Minnesota and holding a precise altitude and direction made pass after pass taking photo's of their place and the surrounding area.
After getting the photo's developed I trimmed them and put together a large photographic view of the whole area around their place. I don't know where it went after they passed away. Probably got tossed.
Would love to get the opportunity to do something similar with a 261 excursion. Problem there is that if it's runnin', I'm ride'n and grease'n and fire'n.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

alco636
Conductor

Postby alco636 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:20 am

Mark, I'd be surprised if there aren't any drone foamers out for the trip in October. Small r/c drones are popular with railfans. I've been tempted to buy one. Not yet. More pressing needs. Here's some footage of N&W 611. https://youtu.be/56D9RPKk0Ko No need for an airplane or helicopter.

Al Seever
Minneapolis, MN
I don't know everyone, but everyone seems to know me...

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:11 am

Drone footage of 611, taken last month.

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:33 pm

Mark, I'm pretty sure he shot those from that bluff (forgot the name) just across the river. I tried to get some from there when the 261 ran solo but got wiped out by a freight on the next track that totally obscurred the 261 and her train. BTW, the forum is very slow today.

Brent A
Conductor

Postby Brent A » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:49 pm

I'm sure those were shot from the overlook at Mounds Park.
See if this link works.

http://binged.it/1Juf9kS
It's like the same thing, only different. (Tommy Chong)

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:08 pm

In truth, it's actually a triple header with regards to how many locomotives are tied to the train. Takes a lot of power to drag those cars, eh?

Yeah, I know about the 'drone's, actually remote controlled miniature aircraft. But I don't think about them that much yet since my experiences have been limited. WCCO TV use a couple during a past trip to Duluth with the 261 and it wound up on TV. The FAA has yet to come up with some workable rules for the operation of said 'drones so people are basically just flying them any which way they want, including violating existing rules on safety, such as maximum allowable altitude, proximity to airports, proximity to people, etc. Right now, it's the wild west out there for drones. Hopefully that will change before people are killed and more responsible use of them will cause the general public to view them in a better light.
I don't see much happening until the first airliner injests one into an engine.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Return to “General Discussion”