Very Interesting Steam Loco Story Trains Mag

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

Very Interesting Steam Loco Story Trains Mag

Postby Mark D » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:30 pm

Title of an article in TRAINS magazine; Skookum Lives.
Story of a the first ever logging locomotive in a Mallet design. The story if it's hard life, first being sent back to the Baldwin Locomotive Works because it was too heavy. From there, sold to an outfit that could use it, goes through myriad various owners and finally runs afoul of a broken rail which causes derailment which causes it to eventually slowly roll over on its fireman's side, where the cash strapped company let it lie, building a new track around the wreck.
The coolest part of the story starts there and goes on to this day because that engine is still operational.
I can't tell the whole story here, but if you don't get TRAINS you would do well to go find one on a news stand somewhere. Or borrow one. Great story and well - very well - researched.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Fitz
Conductor

Re: Very Interesting Steam Loco Story Trains Mag

Postby Fitz » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:31 pm

It will soon become operational again, as it is being completely overhauled at the Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad in Garibaldi, OR. I have been keeping track of the progress and sure hope I can get a ride up there for its first outings. I try to photograph it when I visit there but it's stuck back in a corner of the engine shop and is difficult to get pics. I don't know how many 2-4-4-2s were built, seems rare to me. Pete Lerro has a special or two set for the return of Skookum, hopefully this year. My photo taken in July 2017. Saw her again in May 2018 but lighting was non-existant for pic.
Attachments
Skookum2017.jpg

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:07 pm

I remember seeing pictures of this engine a few months back on Facebook. Very distinctive appearance...kind of reminds you of two 2-4-0 switchers lashed together. ;) Kind of, though I realize it's a compound.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:23 pm

I believe when this one comes back to life it will be at least the second steam locomotive that was initially saved because it was wrecked and abandon by the railroad to do so. I believe one of the old WW&F two foot gage engines in Maine was also wrecked on the last day the railroad ran though it was not planned that way. The engine derailed and rather than get the wreck up and rebuild the track the railroad just shut the doors and sent everyone home. That was nearly the same circumstance with this engine though the railroad did run a few more months bypassing the wreck. The story of the rescue and rebuild is pretty amazing.

On the technical side I wonder if this little compound locomotive has a simpling valve? I suspect it does or it would have a hard time starting trains until the low pressure exhaust steam got to the front cylinders. Having heard of this engine forever I would love to see it run someday.

John Bohon

tom c
Conductor

Postby tom c » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:39 am

John, you are thinking of #8 that was left to rot. #9 was sent to Connecticut.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan instead of Colorado!

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:10 am

The story about it in Trains is all news to me. What really got to me was how it had been totally disassembled and the parts hauled out of the 'swamp', but then left to rust in a pile where some of the former locomotive seemed to disappear. Later it went through several owners of the pile of junk before another person came along with the ability to actually put it together. This was done and it was operated. It is now supposedly being moved to California. I hope this new event doesn't become the end of this engine.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:46 pm

Martin Hansen posted an article on TO Steam board today. Skookum was fired up yesterday, 9-20 for the first time in 63 years. I sure hope they will run her some on the OCSR before sending her to CA.

Kevin Gilliam
Conductor

Postby Kevin Gilliam » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:01 pm

Fitz wrote:Martin Hansen posted an article on TO Steam board today. Skookum was fired up yesterday, 9-20 for the first time in 63 years. I sure hope they will run her some on the OCSR before sending her to CA.

Fitz,
It will run for 2 rounds of charters. Pete Lerro has a week this fall, then Trains Magazine has at least one--maybe 2 charters--in March. As far as I'm aware, that's the extent of the operation on the OCSR.
Kevin

Return to “General Discussion”