Over 50 people 'mowed' down by 'speeding' train

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

Over 50 people 'mowed' down by 'speeding' train

Postby Mark D » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:45 pm

Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

John Bohon
Conductor

Re: Over 50 people 'mowed' down by 'speeding' train

Postby John Bohon » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:51 pm

There are lots of questions here. Who holds a festival where the spectators are standing on the railroad track? Did the railroad know about the people on the track? If so when? Why didn't the train stop when it started hitting people? Why was the horn never blown or were the fireworks so loud it could not be heard? Lots of questions but so far, at least from half a world away, not many answers. This reminds me a little of the UP train that hit a truck carrying people as a parade float a few years ago. I suppose the object lesson is people do stupid things everywhere. There seems to be no end to the foolish things going on.

John Bohon

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:47 am

I read that it's an annual thing. In the past the organizers alerted the railroad. This year they didn't. Can't say why they didn't stop the train, but I can guess being that this is India. a) the crew wasn't watching out the cab. b) They told themselves this wasn't happening - remember there was no communication to the crew that there would be an event at this location. c) It was dark out and they didn't see the people at all and all those thumping noises wasn't enough to grab their attention.

However, this wouldn't have happened at all if stupid people would stay off the tracks. The operator of the event should have had guards along the track to make SURE nobody stood on the tracks.
But then, this is India. They don't normally worry much about such matters.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:51 am

If I were running a train plowing down a hundred or so people in a mob I may keep on going too. Stopping in that mob may a death sentence for the person running the train. Sort of like hitting a truck load of gas and coming to a stop with the cab in the middle of the fire.

John Bohon

Return to “General Discussion”