A1 Trust's Newest Engine

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Millhouse
Conductor

A1 Trust's Newest Engine

Postby Millhouse » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:47 pm

For those who remember the A1 Locomotive Trust, the group responsible for the assembly of a brand new A1 4-6-2 in England, here is the latest on their second locomotive.

P2 2-8-2 Gresley class. Seems that it's coming together nicely.

There is an image on this link. I'd say on the engine at least, most of the big parts are built, but at a glance, don't quote me on that. ;)

Also a 3-cylinder like the Tornado...which is maybe why no counterweights were cast into the drivers?

https://www.p2steam.com/2018/09/18/we-have-a-mikado/

John Bohon
Conductor

Re: A1 Trust's Newest Engine

Postby John Bohon » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:32 pm

In terms of preservation the Brits are so far ahead of us it is unbelievable. I will never understand why we think a 20 year old building is obsolete and tear it down only to build another.

John Bohon

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:42 pm

What kind of longevity do you expect for something built by the lowest bidder?
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:20 pm

Regardless of low bidders any building built to anything that resembles a modern day code will last a long time with routine repairs like replacing the roof. Even a shingle roof will usually last more than 20 years. In the early seventies my father built a shed out of dunnage lumber from the railroad. The plywood sides had no siding and there was never a door. I replaced the shingle roof in the early nineties after he died. Even that crudely built shed built from junk lumber still stands. No restaurant building built at the same time from concrete and steel should be beyond repair if that shed is still standing. How many centuries have some of the building in Europe been standing and none were built to a code? It is not so much a matter of low bidders as it is the thinking of those in command.

During my time on the railroad I have found low bidder does not always mean a lack of quality. I have gotten a lot of really good quality work from some low bidders. Sometimes it is a matter of knowing the contractors, writing good specifications, and good supervision of the work.

John Bohon

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:06 pm

I don't have this completely straight but I've seen the organization's name as both the A1 Trust and the P2 Trust.

Return to “General Discussion”