Santa Train Again at SPUD

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

Re: Santa Train Again at SPUD

Postby Mark D » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:24 pm

Well, I'm back until next Saturday night. All went well. I never did have to sleep in the Suburban. Steve took over and got me into the Hyatt for the whole time. Same room I had last year. Rm 231. I like that room. It's good for sleeping in the daytime. It's on a dead end hallway where people don't go and it is on an inner courtyard-like area where nobody goes. Those two features mean that it is very quiet. That means ol' Markie can sleep during the day...that is, if I remember to tell the desk clerk to tell housekeeping not to bug me. I forgot.
All went well up at the North Pole, but there has been a problem with the city parking lots adjacent to the North Pole. They are now starting to make us pay money to park in their lot when all we do is drive through it to go up the ramp to the North Pole.

I'm curious - do those cameras operate 24/7? Are there pics where I was working at 3:00 AM? If so, I had better make it look like I'm actually doing something!!

Mark D.
Attachments
DSC05881 (resized) (Copy 1).jpg
The fireman's office. I don't usually spend much time there. Just when I need to add water, which isn't often during the night shift.
DSC05881 (resized) (Copy 1).jpg (54.34 KiB) Viewed 712 times
DSC05875 (resized).jpg
atop the tender my foot prints heading to the coal bunker so I can shovel coal forward so I can reach it from in the cab so I can shovel it again
DSC05870 (resized).jpg
Santa's village at the North Pole from a distance.
DSC05870 (resized).jpg (60.19 KiB) Viewed 712 times
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:29 pm

DSC05885 (resized).jpg
DSC05885 (resized).jpg (66.12 KiB) Viewed 712 times

tom c
Conductor

Postby tom c » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:00 pm

Nice to hear u got to sleep in a warm room!

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan instead of Colorado!

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:18 pm

On the web cam, I see some "elves" (I assume) carrying signs along side the first passenger car when it is parked there... what do the signs say?
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:29 pm

I know one of the signs says; COAL FOR THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN NAUGHTY.

Robert; How do I get to another camera closer to SPUD? I want to see what it sees. The one you linked is looking too far easterly, still southerly, but I wonder if there's one that shows the locomotive at the North Pole.
Mark D.

Robert T
Conductor

Postby Robert T » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:55 pm

Mark,

I only know of one other camera and that is too far west on the other side of the concourse. Here is a link to it anyway.
https://www.uniondepot.org/transit/trains/amtrak-webcam1/

I'm sure the cameras they have on the platform are probably closed circuit. I'll keep on looking for more though.

Robert

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:54 am

Thanks Robert. I'm mostly interested in what's happening at the Santa village. Charles noted an elf or two in a post here, which tells me there might be one somewhere around the 'North Pole village'. I can say that because that's the only place the 'elves' show themselves.
(They're trying to get me to be one of them!!!) Not going to happen.
Mark D.

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:17 pm

The "elves" I saw were along side the train at the east end where they park at the depot. Some were carrying 'protest' signs and two others had sticks with some sort of floppy object on the top end and they were walking along side the train moving the top of the post up to the windows and jerking the floppy object up and down... sort of like the object was some sort of animal or "elf" and from inside the car they would appear to just jump up into view outside the window to intrigue (??? "SCARE" more likely... "traumatize"?) the kiddy-winks. (I wonder how many kids had nightmares last night or won't ever want to ride a train again!)

Shades of WIlliam Shatner on "The Twilight Zone" seeing the gremlin on the wing of the airplane!
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:11 pm

Ohhh! I know what that was! They have little stuffed animals on the ends of the sticks. They pop the little animal that looks real to little kids. It gets the kids all wound up in the cars. I don't know what their game is, but one of the 'elves' told me they only worked the train from the outside and ONLY at the north pole village. So to learn that they do that at the depot itself is interesting. I'll have to learn a bit more one of these years. I really don't know what goes on, I pay no attention 'cause I don't really care because I'm not involved in that part and don't want to be involved in that part. I work on the engine only. Although I would help out where needed if it was essential that I do it, whatever that might be. So far nothing like that has happened.
Mark D.

Robert T
Conductor

Postby Robert T » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:41 pm

Mark,

The camera is located just east of the North Pole village at the railfan picnic area. So when the middle of the train stops at the North Pole, the camera shows the tender and the first car.

Here is a link to the camera. You can at least see the engine pulling to a stop about 10 minutes after departure and then backing up about 30 minutes later.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/c2IcrPIs_L4

Robert T.

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:54 pm

Ah HA! I misread the info on the 261 site... I thought the train went west of the depot to the "North Pole". So the photos in this thread (and the ones I sent to you, Mark, in the e-mail) are when the train is at the "North Pole". I was thinking it went the other way and could be seen from the west side camera, but that is not true.

Where do they park the engine for overnight?
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:14 am

Overnight it's parked smack dab in front of the North Pole village. That's why I was wondering if there was a camera pointed at that spot. I need to make sure I don't get caught napping. :-)
Mark D.

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:09 pm

I am assuming then that it is parked off to the right, just outside of the camera's view. Besides, it is so dark and the camera resolution so poor that I doubt if anyone could tell that you are napping in the cab, but I suppose if you were to be lying on the side rods, someone might notice you and call 9-1-1 to see if you needed help... not that they'd know it was you and not some other bum (errr... I mean... ummm... some homeless person that found a warm spot to spend the night).

The photos in this thread show the camera's view (same views as I sent to you in an e-mail). Note the position of the small tree next to the fence in the foreground and the pile of track on the left (visible in the photo with the engine just entering the scene from the right). That should give you an idea on the ground of the area the camera is covering.

I just checked the camera now, and I can see smoke in the upper right corner of the scene, so I bet the engine is just out of view on the right.
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:05 pm

Me thinks you are right.
In any case, I have one more night of this and then I'm done until next year. I've decided to keep going for now.
Mark D.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:20 pm

I was on it again last night. That's my last night. Tomorrow morning it goes back to the shop. Then the REAL fun starts!
The firebox has to be cleaned, all ash removed from the ah pan too. I've been there, done that. It's not especially warm in that shop this time of the year, but someone has to go into the firebox and hose it with a pressure washer. It might turn out to be me if the cards don't go right. I'd rather watch someone else do it, but...
Mark D.

Return to “General Discussion”