Something a little different...

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Millhouse
Conductor

Something a little different...

Postby Millhouse » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:19 am

Computer Generated Model of the NYC Hudson. Not real sure what's being sold here, but I'm not a computer visual artist, much tech support as I do.

https://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-new-york/862863?referral=dsworks&fbclid=IwAR2OFc_b0-796GRJjGW-0WAV-t8Z8r56UHg8NnTt2-Iwd0YzyhvOvq9OVlo

Junk_Man999
Conductor

Re: Something a little different...

Postby Junk_Man999 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:21 am

USAGE
- This model was designed for use as a real-time asset in a Film and TV production.
- This model is suitable for use in broadcast, high-res film close-up, advertising, design visualization.

It says it in the description. ^
Very highly detailed, although a little too "nice" looking.
All Aboard!!!

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:18 am

Here ya' go Fitz!! EXACTLY what you would want for Christmas, eh?
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:28 pm

It looks great. 5415 would be a J-3, and as originally built would have Scullin Disc or Boxpok drivers, not the spoked ones. (nit pick).
I hope all of you have a Merry Christmas. Ours will be different. My wife Sharon just got home from a five day stay at OHSU hospital in Portland, with vascular disease treatment. She will go back in six weeks for surgery to correct lower arterial blockage, legs. Our daughter Laurie came here from San Diego to do the driving. She has spent her life in hospital work and knows all the right questions and buttons to push. Without her we would probably not been able to get this done.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:09 am

I am truly saddened to learn your wife is in a dangerous state. I hope and pray she recovers soon.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:36 pm

All the best, Fitz, very sorry to hear of your wife's recent health problems. I wish you the best Christmas.

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:33 pm

And I'll nitpick with ya, Fitz... the tender is missing the covers over each axle on the trucks. :D

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:24 pm

I'll further nitpick...

Select one of the images where you can manually rotate the image so you can compare the two sides. On one side the drive pin on the main wheels is at about the 5 o'clock position, turn the image around to see the other side and the drive pin is at the 7 o'clock position (remember you have turned the engine around), directly opposite the other side. i.e.: the wheels are NOT in quadrature.

This is typical of drawings by people that either don't know how steam engines work or don't care. They drew the drive rods and valve gear for one side, then simply copied that drawing and mirror-imaged it for the other side rather than draw it in the correct position.

Nice drawing, but in the future there will be people that will look to it for understanding the past and be misinformed. (I was one of those people many years ago due to the same laziness on the part of a toy maker with a model of an internal combustion.)

To see other really strange ideas of how a steam locomotive looks, take a look at some of the steam engine drawings in the SketchUp/Make library. Some have main rods that connect big wheels to small wheels and some have main rods that connect the drive wheels together at an angle from top to bottom. Also, there is a famous Currier and Ives Christmas card drawing of a lovely winter evening at the train station with a steam loco that has the main rods and the valve drive rods that cross, thus they would hit each other when the wheels rotate.
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Return to “General Discussion”