NC&StL 576 4-8-4 Move Completed

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Millhouse
Conductor

NC&StL 576 4-8-4 Move Completed

Postby Millhouse » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:16 pm

For anyone interested that hasn't been following, the 576 4-8-4 that has been in Centennial Park in Nashville since retirement...has been relocated to a connected railroad line. Preparations to move it have been underway in the park for a long time prior to this weekend.

Article says the engine is going to be towed to the shop in which it is going to be repaired. I have to admit I'm surprised CSX is even allowing it to be towed, just based on their strict no-steam policy of the past.

The giant set up that moved the locomotive was not unlike the huge dolly that moved 4023, maybe a little smaller. Not sure if it was done by the same company. Link to Trains article below.

http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/2019/01/14-move-of-no-576-from-nashville-park-goes-smoothly

Mark D
Conductor

Re: NC&StL 576 4-8-4 Move Completed

Postby Mark D » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:09 am

I wonder what's in store for it after it is 'repaired'?
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:29 pm

That's not yet being discussed publicly, the end game for the moment is an operational resto - which has been marketed with the public on Facebook very well since they started working on it in the park... your guess is as good as mine where they plan to run it.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:29 pm

I have been back from Nashville for a couple of days and am somewhat caught up here so I suppose I should jump in to this conversation. First let me say the move of 576 was very well planned and executed. The loading went well and the actual move went extremely well. The contractor was excellent to work with and very professional. The police, utility people, and park personal were exactly where they should have been and made the move go smoothly. For at least a couple of years before the move I had been told they were planning to turn this into an event. I never thought that would be possible. As the week of loading and preparing went by it became more and more obvious a lot of people were planning to walk the whole route of the move and they were not all railfans. The rules were published in various venues and people were not really encouraged to walk along with the engine. However they were allowed to follow as long as they stayed on the sidewalks and out of the way. The move out of the park started around 7:30 AM in a 40 degree mist with everything wet. Even so a couple of hundred people walked the full 2 mile route and many having no other way back also walked back. Young, old, and everything in between were walking along with 576. They then got in their cars and drove to the unloading site and spent the rest of the day watching the progress. Much to my disbelief this was an event.

On the question of CSX handling 576 between the two shortline railroads I too was very skeptical. Having dealt with CSX for many years I did not think it would happen. Again I am glad I was wrong. CSX is quite happy to be a part of this move and I think you will hear more about the plan as time for the move gets closer. The railroad had a representative there for the move last week and he got permission from the dispatcher to make the move across their mainline about a quarter of a mile from the unloading area. The CSX line 576 crossed was the old NC&Stl mainline 576 once ran on daily. How often do you see a locomotive off the track at 90 degrees to its original mainline and it is a good thing?

To anyone reading the main page of the NSPS website it is made very clear that the intent is to run 576 on the Nashville and Eastern Railroad. That line also supports the Music City Star commuter trains between Nashville and Lebanon. That portion of the line is welded rail and has a 60 MPH speed limit. It is the only commuter line in the country to qualify for a waiver exemption from FRA on the new PTC laws. Also operating on the N&E is the Tennessee Central Railroad museum excursion trains. They have something like 12 or 14 passenger cars and have been operating over the line for quite a number of years. The 576 will pull the TCRYM train. The rest of the N&E is jointed rail and probably a mix of class I and II track with passenger speed limits up to 30 MPH. The entire line is about 100 miles long. The 576 has a place to run.

Another thing happened involving the operation the week of the move that did not get heavily covered. The truck used to haul the tender arrived in the area loaded with a turntable out of Atlanta. The 110 foot table was delivered to Watertown, TN and is to be installed to turn 576 when the time comes. This table was bought about 1945 by the NC&Stl along with 3 others and was installed to turn the 576 and her sisters. This is the only one of those tables surviving.

From a personal standpoint the move was 8 days of hard work mixed with many long hours watching the contractor do his job. We assisted when we could but often there was just not much we could do. It was a fun week none the less and I am glad to have been in the middle of all the action.

In closing I would like to say the NSPS has done a great job of keeping people informed and involved with this project. They have made this a project for all of Nashville to get involved in. To that end the move was on the front page of the Monday Tennessean Newspaper and on the local TV news stations several times during the week of the move. Many groups could take lessons from these guys on how to get the word out and make people want to become part of the restoration.

John Bohon

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:38 pm

Agreed on well-documented, John. They've been very engaged on Facebook since the endeavor started in the park, what's it been, 2-3 years ago now? One gentleman in particular has tirelessly provided up to the minute information, and just in case he's here I'd like to recognize him now: Joseph Darrel Cason. And not just the documenting there, doing mechanical as well as static restoration work to her on the spot in the park while waiting to put the move together, raising awareness, creating events and inviting people out to see the engine during those events.
Last edited by Millhouse on Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:12 am

I am impressed! I am a bit jealous that the railroad it will run on was able to obtain a waiver from FRA for PTC on 60 mph track. I wish we could do the same with BNSF, but that'll never happen.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:41 pm

Some video documenting the move. Even I hadn't seen all this footage before today.

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrDT5zn-pyk

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3OCOEMdt2U

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:53 pm

Thank you for that detailed report, John. Looking forward to the future of this engine.

John Bohon
Conductor

Postby John Bohon » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:49 pm

Well, I have to be in those videos especially during the building of the track onto the mats used to load 576 but everything moves so fast I never saw myself. One thing I forgot to mention was how well the public obeyed all the safety rules during the move. On the day we moved from the park to the railroad we had a safety meeting at 6:00 AM so the contractors, utility people, police, railroad, and volunteers understood very clearly what they were to do. Of course the public only had the rules as published mostly on Facebook and in Trains magazine. During the move I know of no incidents where anyone got out of line. Everyone seemed to be impressed. One utility supervisor said his employees could handle the job and he would not normally bother to be on site but he was not going to miss this. Uniformed police officers were seen taking photos with expensive cameras and they draw special duty like this all the time. The effort put in by everyone was impressive.

Your mention of Darrel Cason is correct in every way. No longer able to take part in the heavy work he has made himself a very valuable member of the group both in recording what is done and helping with public relations. His knowledge of steam locomotives comes in quite handy as well. My wife worked the 8 days providing public relations and safety and spent much of her time with Darrel. On the second day of unloading 576 everyone went to lunch so nothing was going to be happening. Darrel still did not want to leave the site so my wife and I went out and picked up his lunch and then went to ours. I am sure others did the same at other times.

About a tenth of a mile from the unloading site 576 crossed the CSX mainline after a CSX official got permission from the dispatcher. That mainline is the old NC&Stl mainline 576 was built to operate over. How often is a locomotive off the track at 90 degrees to its original mainline and it is a good thing? When the move over CSX takes place 576 will cross over this same road crossing once again occupying the old NC&Stl main. Also of note at this same crossing is the building used in the early 1900's by Marathon Motors to build those new fangled automobiles. That is a good bit of history at a little spot beside the freeway.

It is my understanding that in order to get under the number of trains they could operate under the FRA waiver the Nashville Star Commuter train had to drop one late Friday evening train. Apparently it was a pretty popular train but not worth the money it would take to install PTC. It is pretty silly to me.

John Bohon

Return to “General Discussion”