Skookum is operational

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Fitz
Conductor

Skookum is operational

Postby Fitz » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:20 pm

Martin Hansen just published a group of photos of Skookum, the rare 2-4-4-2 logging locomotive restored to operation at Oregon Coast Scenic railroad. With his permission, I will post a photo.

Mark D
Conductor

Re: Skookum is operational

Postby Mark D » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:48 am

The whole story about that engine is simply fascinating. Talk about something that has fallen on bad luck and nobody cares and it lies on its side in weeds and water for decades and then someone comes along and offers help in the way of moving the entire engine out of the elements. But yet, it is decades before it can once again run steam through its veins.
Only difference is it's pulling passenger cars instead of flats for hauling tree trunks

I wonder where they managed to find cars in baby blue paint? Glick! :-( But in any case, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Kevin Gilliam
Conductor

Postby Kevin Gilliam » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Mark D wrote:The whole story about that engine is simply fascinating. Talk about something that has fallen on bad luck and nobody cares and it lies on its side in weeds and water for decades and then someone comes along and offers help in the way of moving the entire engine out of the elements. But yet, it is decades before it can once again run steam through its veins.
Only difference is it's pulling passenger cars instead of flats for hauling tree trunks

I wonder where they managed to find cars in baby blue paint? Glick! :-( But in any case, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Mark D.

Those flats should be part of the consist later this week if things go well. Personally, I liked the pullman green that the passenger cars were in several years ago better, but marketing and tourist stuff.....

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:00 am

Sure doesn't look very green from this monitor. Oh well.. Green would be a bit better.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Return to “General Discussion”