I've been hijacked to work

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

I've been hijacked to work

Postby Mark D » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:38 pm

Got home from visiting relatives on Easter Sunday to find emails from Milw. 261. The short of it is I guess I have to go there tomorrow (Monday, 4/22) to help in some way, shape or form to get some circulator tubes in place. They're heavy and cumbersome and I guess people closer to the shop just can't seem to make it there. Oh well. I am trying to wean myself from that place, but when the resort to asking me to be there... Well, they're really scraping the bottom of the bowl.
I'll see what I can do.
Lucky it wasn't next week -- I'll be in Fargo for several days helping my son at his auto repair business. Boring stuff like brake jobs, oil changes and other simple and boring stuff. I don't want to go there either, but one of his employees is going on vacation and he's swamped.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

tom c
Conductor

Re: I've been hijacked to work

Postby tom c » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:55 am

must be ruff to be needed. SUFFER!

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
Lost somewhere in Michigan instead of Colorado!

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:32 am

I'm trying to wean myself from that beast!
But I'm a sucker for everything that comes along that looks interesting.
Mark D.

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:33 pm

Hey, they're lucky to have you Mark. It's very easy to forget how long you've been at this. A humbling amount of time at this point... my hat's always off to ya. :?

Charles T. McCullough
Conductor

Postby Charles T. McCullough » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:05 pm

Mark: You obviously have not learned how to do things in a ham-handed way, and not broken enough new parts to warn them off of you.
Semper Vaporo,
Charles T. McCullough

Pkgs.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:08 pm

Charles T. McCullough wrote:Mark: You obviously have not learned how to do things in a ham-handed way, and not broken enough new parts to warn them off of you.

Well, I decided to keep going long enough to help with getting the new circulator tubes installed in the firebox. But it let the right people I know that I'm not interested in sitting on that beast all night long in the dead of winter all alone in high-crime Saint Paul, MN. just so that it would be hot and ready when the day crew comes on. In my way of thinking there is too much that can go wrong that I alone might not be able to handle, other than just drop the fire and open the drains... and then go home.
But even that is subject to change.

The first circulator element is just about ready to be installed. The fearless leader had to drive to Duluth, MN. to get the tubes bent to the proper fit. They did a top notch job. I think they've done that work before. After the bends were made he brought them back and Thursday is when we test fitted the cross part. The center pipe that goes right up through the crown sheet has to be fitted to the cross tube outside of the firebox. Once it seems like it might fit we will put it together in the firebox. IF it fits well enough, THEN we get the super duper welder guy with all the certifications to weld it up.
The decision has been made that the next circulator element will be next year. Time is running short and none of them are all that bad.... yet.
The wall thickness new is .I forget. Using a ultrasound tool we were seeing variations from .I forget in places to something down by varying amounts, but nothing even close to condemn them. So once this first one - which is the worst one - is working fine the others will also be replaced one at a time.
There was some pressure on me to bring the next tube up to Duluth to get it bent, but fortunately for me my Suburban's transmission is about to give up the ghost. I'm still driving it, but not that far. It all started when I was running up to Fargo, running along with traffic at about 80 -85
Well, that speed didn't cause the problem, but the leaking cooler line from it to the cooler had just developed a slight leak that I didn't know about. When I got back home I shut it off in front of the front door. Unloaded. Went to park it over by my shop, shifted it into D and it wouldn't move. Tried R... nope. Checked fluid... nope!! That's when I found out it had a leak. It had never shown any sign of leaking. Never a spot on the ground. That's because (I'm pretty sure) it developed during the Fargo trip.
I replaced the leaking tube- salt rusted. and filled it up with fluid and it does run. But it has a nasty whine in neutral, takes a while to engage when I put it in D. R works fine. Put it in 1 and nothing happens. Put it into 2 and nothing happens. But it will move the beast in Square D or just D. But as I said, it sort of takes a while for it to decide to go. So I won't drive as far as Duluth in that thing. Or Fargo.

Mark D.

Mark D.

Return to “General Discussion”