Steve Lee and 4014.

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

bobnsteam
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Steve Lee and 4014.

Postby bobnsteam » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:30 pm

Guys,
A number of years ago Steve Lee was sort of negative on restoring a 4000 saying it wasn't in the cards.
I wonder if he drops by the steam shop occasionally these days to admire what's going on?
Bob

Millhouse
Conductor

Re: Steve Lee and 4014.

Postby Millhouse » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Kinda doubting it on the visiting but I've seen weirder surprises in this lifetime. Why do I say that....put it this way and take it any way you want... over on the Official UP Steam Club page, in passing I've seen questions similar to yours get asked, and if the man's name is mentioned at all, those posts get deleted immediately, no questions asked, no warnings made.

... when the 4014's re-acquisition and operational restoration was announced five years back, my mind immediately went to Steve's more or less very practical comments on Last of the Giants Vol II. I myself always wondered if those were peripheral reasons and just keeping a real reason on the backburner - as in at the time possibly, UP simply did not want to pay the extreme costs of having a running 4000 on the roster. Looking at my DVD, I think Last of the Giants Volume II was recorded and produced in 1995. A lot of people and policy can change in 20 years.

Lastly, just to make it clear (not that I'm anyone special :P ) I have said it before but -- I have no problem with the old nor the new crews of the Heritage Fleet.

Fitz
Conductor

Postby Fitz » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:54 pm

Steve works with John Rimmasch (SP) basically across the street from the Cheyenne UP operations. I'm sure he is aware of what is transpiring there, but from what I have seen elsewhere, there is no love lost between Ed and Steve. I just hope that the 4014 will indeed run after all that went through getting it out of the park in CA, transporting it and the work done to restore it. I crawled all over the 4014 when it was on display in CA.

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:00 pm

Well this announcement came from UP today on both their official Facebook pages:

"The Union Pacific Steam Team is busy making final preparations for the May 4 christening of the Big Boy No. 4014 in Cheyenne, Wyoming. Final touches on its paint job are being applied and the last necessary tests are being conducted.

To ensure the Big Boy is ready for its big debut, No. 844’s whistle-stop tour that was scheduled for this Saturday and Sunday, April 27-28, has been cancelled. Instead, No. 844 will double-head with No. 4014 from Cheyenne to Ogden on May 4 after the 9:30 a.m. MT christening ceremony.

This new schedule will give the UP Steam Team more time to complete final preparations for No. 4014."

Once again I'm back to wondering if the towing to Ogden predictions might come true. Won't know till the day of. Maybe having 844 on the point is insurance if anything goes wrong with 4014 that the crowd will see a running steamer on the train.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:31 am

I think some people are reading into this thing about the 844 running with What a Big Boy am I.
My take on this is logistics. Well, that and the fact that even though the 4014 might be all set to go, it is not tried and trued and it only makes sense to have a back-up in a case like this. Add to that the fact that there only so many qualified engineers for the steam engines it might pay to have the two steam engines run together.
Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Return to “General Discussion”