After Big Boy Back to Normal for Steam

Railfan General Discussion
NEW! - DIRECTLY POST YOUR RAILFAN PICTURES! For discussion and comments of any railroad related topic. No politics except as relates to railroading.

Moderators: othermoderator, moderator

Mark D
Conductor

After Big Boy Back to Normal for Steam

Postby Mark D » Tue May 21, 2019 9:10 am

Well, all the hoopla with the Union Pacific Rwy. is pretty much over now. Back to the regular grind I guess. I'll be at the 261 shop this Thursday trying to help out in the firebox that needs a few tweaks. And this spring sometime (I forget when) it will be heading west again on the TC&W at about 35 mph average. And with no place to turn a TC&W diesel will drag the train back to the shop.
All because the Govt. decided that all locomotives must be equipped with PTC. Never mind that PTC isn't compatible with steam.
Well, there are people trying to design and build a PTC device that would work well with steam and at the same time work well with the Govt.
That's a very expensive undertaking and so far nothing has come from whatever skunk works is trying to build it. Meanwhile, steam is relegated to the slow track in one direction only.
That's the news for the day.

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

SOO2719
Conductor
Interested in trains?: Yes

Re: After Big Boy Back to Normal for Steam

Postby SOO2719 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:34 pm

You folks will have a Milwaukee Road E-unit on the other end for the June trips, not a T.C.& W. one, so there is that to look forward to.
As for the Big Boy? Oh man, please Uncle Pete, please send her to Gopher Land!
Richard "Tony" Held

"Trackside with Tony"
http://www.tonyheld.hoboandbowser.net/category/trackside/

Millhouse
Conductor

Postby Millhouse » Wed May 22, 2019 9:25 am

Mark... speaking of 261, saw this yesterday on Lionel's website, thought, "What would Mark think of this?"

Feel free to call it ugly, btw, no wrong opinions here.

I find it strange.

http://www.lionel.com/products/milwaukee-legacy-s3-260-6-84067

Basically an S3 with fictional (fictional far as I know) livery based on the old streamlined Milkwaukee Road F7 4-6-4s.

Mark D
Conductor

Postby Mark D » Wed May 22, 2019 9:38 am

1) it's just another diesel engine to me. I didn't know it was going to be in the consist, I have yet to see it on the 261 / BNSF property. Maybe tomorrow, because I promised Steve I'd be there to do something on the steam engine.

2) speaking of steam engines, I read somewhere that it will be going to Iowa sometime this year. If they go there, they probably would go to the Twin Cities. I'd prefer they get approval from BNSF and come out to Litchfield, MN. I'd go see it then!

Mark D.
Mark D. - The bottom of the information curve

Return to “General Discussion”